Brand new 2012 20hp 4stroke suzuki

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use good quality oil.I use 100%synthetic tcw3 pennzoil.I have quite a bit of that(4 gallons)I got a bunch of them at walmart before they stopped selling it.Once that is done which will take a long while i'm going to switch over to the xd100 etec oil for my merc.I can get it for around $30 a gallon at my marina.The guy who runs the place has been there for many yrs and he said not because he sells it but he belives hands down the xd100 is the best synthetic oil out there.

I'm gonna give it a shot.I can still get the pennzoil at west marine but it's over $40 a gallon,forget that.Well i guess i will just go with at least a 75:1 or 50:1.I figure i would hit it right in the middle at 75:1.I don't think it will hurt it.

I bought brand new in 1988 a Lowe 160 Alum. bass boat with a Johnson 48 Spl. One of the first motors to run 100:1 that I am aware of. We ran that motor 100:1 the first year and then Johnson recommended 50:1 instead. Yeah it smokes a little more but never had a problem. A few years after selling that boat I bought another Identical rig from a widow and always ran it 100:1 but would mix 50:1 the first tank in the spring and again on my last use of the year. Most problems I always heard about where cold starts after a long period of sitting. I personally have never had an outboard fail on me mechanically other than a mid 70;s 115 merc tower of power and that was because I was young and screwed with the timing unknowingly trying to fix an idle issue. Costly mistake!!!!, but that motor ran better than it ever had after a rebuild and to the best of my knowledge is still running strong today.

I would think the same that as long as you mix properly at a 100:1 it wold be fine.I am going to stick with at least a 75:1 ratio.I can't see how that is not enough oil for a outboard.It is 16 oz of oil for a 6gallon tank.I can't see how 12oz wouldn't be enough oil.This is of course when using the outboard at least once a week and not sitting for mths.That is what seemed to be the problem with johnson/evinrude outboards.

This is what is nice about a 4stroke it's like a car change the oil and go.There is very little maintenance on a 4stroke.I have a guy that i know ordered a brand new 20hp suzuki 4stroke so we will see how it performs in his opinion.I want the suzuki bad.What i want to do is have my family boat that i can go to the springs with and have fun at the beach and i want the suzuki for that boat.
I want either this merc or the new sea pro for a fishing boat.

It amazes me how suzuki can put so much into a 97lb motor.The efi will be awesome,plus it's a super light motor.I would also think it has better punch from the efi(plese correct me if i'm wrong about the efi having more punch).Plus the price is right for them at $2725 on a site i found.I have called them and asked if they would do better then the money their asking and they said they can go to $2600,tax +shipping included.

I wonder if that Suzuki has a system that will work with a dead battery like the 25 Merc and Tohatsu's.

Yes it's a battery less system.It will work no matter what.From what i have found so far it seems to be a great motor.It will only be a matter of time were all outboards will be efi.I bet the next 20hp to do so will be the tohatsu/merc.All the brands will follow

While we are on the discussion of 20hp outboards,does anyone think just because the suzuki has almost 23cc's less then a 20hp 4stroke merc or tohatsu it will perform different or is a 20hp a 20hp and they will perform the same.The one thing this motor has that is so different is the efi and it weighs in at just 97lbs.Maybe the weight difference will even itself out with the merc.The 20hp merc weighs in at a bit over 115lbs.I wonder how fast it would push a 1436 jon boat.

I have seen the older 15hp 4stroke suzuki's push some weight now so i would think this motor would be a little powerhouse compared to last 15hp suzuki.I'm hoping someone buys one and gives a good report on it.If i some how some way run into some extra money i will be very tempted to get one.I have been waiting a long time to see a 20hp 4stroke suzuki,they are the last one to have a 20hp.Every major brand has a 20hp now.

It would push a 1436 very very well!! However I have never seen a 1436 rated for more than 15hp so I think you could be dangerously over powered. This is if you are talking Aluminum flatbottom as I know the v hulls are generally rated considerably higher.

The 1436 lowe is rated for a 20hp which is the same weight as my 25hp merc.Of course the 25hp will have more power but if you have seen a 1436 lowe it's a extremely strong boat for what it is.Its actually got a thicker guage aluminum at .064 compared to a alumacraft 1442 or 1542 its not that big of a difference but still impresive for a 1436.I know the transom is no doubt strong enough to hold the 25hp merc.It's the scary speed it will do.I may be able to only go like half to 3/4 throttle on a boat like that.

I will see,i may be able to find a nice used 1448 or 1648 on craigslist by the time i'm ready to get a boat.I got an offer from a guy yesterday.Anyone chime in if you think this is a good deal.I do want a 4stroke for another boat but i may not be able to pass this deal up.

A guy called me and he wants to trade me a 2005 15hp 4stroke yamaha,electric start and some cash for my 25hp merc,does anyone think this is a good deal?I think it may be.The yamaha is as clean or cleaner then mine so thats like brand new as mine is.We are going to discuss cash today but i won't take any less then $500 +the motor.A 2005 yamaha 15hp will be worth at least around here $1200-1400max.I will see what he says today.I have never actually owned a 4stroke and i'm dieing to run one on a boat to really see the difference between a 2stroke and 4stroke.

From what i have seen on you tube they seem to have some good power for a 15.If i'm not mistaken that yr had the 323cc motor in it.Well would like to hear opinions on this,thanks.

This is just me since I know nothing about your finances or your 25hp Merc. If the Merc is still in good condition I would be tempted to keep it and properly store it because you may later find a nice boat and trailer extremely cheap that needs a 25. Around here good short shaft tiller 25s are next to impossible to find used. I watched the paper, craiglist, and Ebay for almost a year before I managed to snag my 25 Evinrude and paid too much for an unknown engine just to have what I needed to get my new boat on the water at the time. Boats are cheap, outboards usually are not. The 15 Yam will push your boat just fine but will be nothing like your current 25 as far as speed. I dare say in a few more years if they aren't completely outlawed used two strokes will bring a premium price compared to today.

Just sold it for $2000.I couldn't pass up that kind of money,i don't think anyone would.25's around here in fl are a dime a dozen.The problem is finding one in the condition that i had.That is next to impossible.I have found like 3 25hp stroke yamaha's i have been following steadily and been watching the price drop.2 out of 3 are flat out mint.The one i have my eye on is a 2009 25hp 2stroke yamaha for $2000.That is a steal of a deal if you ask me.The biggest thing is pics can hide alot if taken right.That is why i took pics of my motor all the way around,i hide nothing.

Well there is a boat show coming in sept and i may find a deal on a suzuki 20hp by then who knows.I am just going to study craigslist and if i see a deal i will go and look at it asap before someone else scoops it up.Thanks for all the help and great opinions,this is truely a great site to learn from.

Well i just called up a rep at a place called newoutboards.com to get some info on the suzuki.They told me that there is of course no reliability yet on the motor.They ran the motor and said the tohatsu/merc had way more power because of the larger powerhead.The suzuki ran beautiful and had good power but they said they would still pick the merc/tohatsu over the suzuki even with having the efi.

So i guess i will have to wait for more reviews from people who have it or when i can find more on the net.It has only been out a month so i won't be getting a new outboard till at least tax season.I guess so far i'm leaning toward the 25hp 2stroke sea pro or a 20hp 2stroke merc/tohatsu.They are close to the same price.It's going to be going on a 1436 crestliner that is rated for a 20hp so i know the boat will hold the 25 with no problem.This boat is built like a tank.It's extremely strong.The transom is in perfect condition.Every rivet is perfect.

I'm going to start moding the boat real soon.I have been doing some drawing plans for it and i don't know exactly were i want to put things yet.The biggest thing i like about this boat is it has most of the room from the livewell back to the end of the boat.Very little room up front which is what i wanted in a jon boat.I wanted more space to stand up and move around were i was driving the boat.Especialy when i get a bigger fish i can move now instead of tripping over everything.

We have around 2 more mths of hot weather here in fl then it will cool down and i will start going out fishing again.It's just to darn hot.I do go when it's overcast because it cools down quite a bit. Right now i can't go anyway,no motor.I got a big 150qt cooler for fish,i also have a little cooler that fits right inside of the big cooler i use for food and drinks so i don't get the slime all over my drinks and food plus i don't need a seperate spot for another cooler.

I know it's just a small 1436 jon boat but i'm excited about going fishing again after loosing my brand new boat and my merc motor.I sold it because i had to but in the end i got a better boat and the boat i wanted for almost nothing.I was able to pay all my back bills and get this boat so that worked out great.

I may need a new trailer in the future but this one rolls for now.It's in ok shape.For $1200 boat,motor and trailer i think i did real good.Now i just need to get a motor and i'm gonna think hard.I also found some left over 25hp 2stroke yamahas in my state but they are asking for an arm and leg.I have lots of options,i'm def going to explore all of them.

I have a question in general about this motor.Because it's fuel injected will it have better low end torque out of the hole compared to a carbed outboard or it really doesn't make a difference?

Basically what i want to know is will it have a quicker response time when hitting the throttle being fuel injected compared to a carbed motor?

I guess if being fuel injected is the only advantage it has over like the merc 20hp then i may as well go ith the more powerful outboard which is the merc.I still can't find much info on this 20hp 4stroke suzuki.I guess i need to give it till at least the end of this yr to really hear any info whether it's good or bad news.

No matter what i get it's going on the back of a 1436 so i would think any 15 or 20hp would move it well.I'm going to start moding my boat soon.It's going to be a fishing machine.

Came real close to ordering this new Suzuki yesterday at $2925 delivered . . . read all of these posts and the debate continues. Like everyone else, the port fuel injection, batteryless ignition, 6-year warranty and the weight of this motor is what got my attention . . . the name Suzuki, 90 miles to nearest service center and no power tilt not so much (I'm a Honda guy for everything else). I'm currently running a 1987 15HP Nissan 2-stroke, that I purchased from the original owner on a 200# Lowe 1987 aluminum mod V-hull. Would like to take my first foray into the 4-stroke world but continue to wonder what size 4-stroke will give me at least the performance of my old 2-stroke. I need a test drive . . . since I'd never buy a new car without driving it first.

Go to you tube i found some videos of the 20hp 4stroke suzuki on boats running and it seems to have a good bit of power.

My big question regarding the 4 stroke motors is the ability to troll at slow speeds. My sweet baby 8 trolls down to 1.6/7 MPH. I've been in a 1648 w/ a 20 HP 4 stroke yamaha and it felt like it was clipping along pretty good at idle, no GPS but seemed too fast to troll IMO.

There is a ton of videos on you tube on the 15 and 20hp 4stroke suzuki efi now.The motor seems to be very promising.I still have a decision to make as i also can get a new 25hp 2stroke merc out of the box for the same price.I know the 25hp will be like a rocket ship but i won't have to run full speed with it which will save gas in the long run.I like the 20hp 4stroke suzuki because it's so quiet and will save a ton of gas compared to the 25hp 2stroke.

The motor will be going on a 1436 crestliner i just picked up around 2 mths ago that is rated for a 20hp.It's the thicker guage boat of the 2 that cresliner makes.They make the 1436 lite like lowe does(basically the same boat)and they make the heavier guage 1436 as lowe does.064 guage thick boat.The boat i have is extremely strong for a 1436.The 20hp suzuki also weighs 97lbs compared to the merc of 118lbs.That is a 21lb difference.That by itself would make a difference in the stern of the boat.

I still have some time to make my decision.It's starting to cool down here in fl so i will be moding the boat soon.That will add some extra weight to the boat also.I have been looking at some peoples mods and can't belive what you can do with a small boat of this size.People are extremely creative in what they do with a small boat of this size.The mods are endless.

I recently bought the Suzuki 15 EFI shortshaft engine, electric start. I only have 5 hours on it, 5 left to go for the break in but I like the engine. It is light weight compared to most others in the same class, starts easy and is super quiet. It replaced a 1971 Merc 7.5 so a real upgrade for me. I would have gone for the 20 HP but the local lakes have a 15 HP restriction. The engine planes a 14 ft Harbercraft aluminum with two people and gear no problem. The 6 year warranty is a plus. I bought my kid a Suzuki Sx4 car a few years back and it has been rock solid. When it came time to shop for an outboard engine I was open to a Japanese maker like Suzuki.

I just hung a 20hp fuel injected new Suzuki on my old aluminum V-hull. Its small, light, smooth, and powerful. It starts on about half of a pull and it just sips gas. I bought it online and can't be happier with the price. I will be running pump gas in it instead of non-ethanol like I must use in all my carb'ed motors. Of course its a four-stroke, because I prefer my oil inside the crankcase and then recycled, instead of spread out all over the surface of the bay.

Noengerny can you give me some top speeds if you have a gps and with how many people you have in the boat.Thanks for any info.

Latest posts