Carpet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt tee

Reaction score
Which type to use for your boat, Is the marine over rated?? Where should I buy it? Do I need to seal the plywood if I am covering in carpet,

Yes, you still need to seal the plywood. You should use a spar urethane to seal it up good. Some people just use a water blocking product like Thompsons but that has to be reapplied every so often to be affective and you cant reapply after you have glued carpet to it.

I'm using marine carpet on my build because it didnt cost anymore than using outdoor carpet. Check out Sportsmans Guide for great deals on marine carpet. I got a 6' X 20' roll for just over $100 shipped.

OK will do, thanks...................Pete i dont belong to Sportsman Guide so I would have to pay for non member but thats not a bad price and more then enough I would need

It was the best price I could find and I looked at just about every site on the net that deals in carpet. A place called Capri Carpet had a better price on the carpet itself but wanted 70 bucks to ship it to me. The price from Sportsmans Guide was only about 15 bucks more than getting the same amount of regular outdoor carpet from Lowes.

I went with Nautolex vinyl and was real happy with the results.

Got it here:
https://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Marine_Carpet_Flooring/index.html

Reasonable shipping prices too.

DONT USE THOMPSONS WATER SEAL, THIS IS WHAT IT DOES WHEN IT COMES IN CONTACT WITH ALUMINUM. I NOTICED IT A FEW MONTHS AFTER AND WAS ABLE TO CLEAN IT UP, IF I DIDNT CATCH IT WHEN I DID IT WOULD HAVE STARTED EATING HOLES IN THE ALUMINUM...395 (640x359).jpg397 (640x359) (640x359).jpg393 (640x359).jpg

Attachments

• 397 (640x359) (640x359).jpg
    397 (640x359) (640x359).jpg
    192 KB · Views: 432
I can recommend sportsmansguide. I bought a refurbed trolling motor from them at a great deal. had an issue with it and everything was well taken care of by the company. just know you are also signing up for a year of junk mail marketing to offset your cheap prices when you buy from them. there is also shipping charges on their carpet, also it's drop shipped and there is a lead time.

if you were planning on buying seats at the same time as carpet, I found a good price here too. they give you 30% off the carpet with seat purchases. 16oz 6x20 comes out about $83 with free ship. I ordered samples of the grey, they looked good, solid flexi backing. gonna place my order with them soon.
https://www.bassboatseats.com/Bass-Boat-Carpet-C31.aspx

Thanks for the links, I do have boat seats already, so the carpeting would be above the other price, Nwever knew that about Thomsons Water seal, I will stay away from that stuff

Oh wow, I knew Thompsons wasnt a good idea for the reason I listed but I never knew it would corrode aluminum. Thats some good info to have. Thanks for posting that.

I just picked up some carpet at a place called princess auto. It's kind of like a bargain basement for guys.

Made from recycled pop bottles. It's essentially poly plastic.

Water beads right off. It will pick though, it seems not to be a complete cut pile type carpet.

45 bucks got me enough to do the whole boat and then some:

d8fc5bc3-48c7-4a76-9b50-5e9f4bec4780_zpsc6d00b4c.jpg

The lower deck between for and aft decks is covered in the foam floor mats that you can pick up in places like walmart. It's nice for standing on all day, water prooof and easily/cheaply replaced when/if damaged.

Can we see the inside of your boat, I am looking for something to go in front of my bench seats, I dont want to add any more plywood then I have to, Thats the rerason I sold my 14ft. it was tricked out but just too heavy for us to trailer on and off

I see this is your Dads boat?? There is a lnk on the bottom of the page

sgt tee said:
Can we see the inside of your boat, I am looking for something to go in front of my bench seats, I dont want to add any more plywood then I have to, Thats the rerason I sold my 14ft. it was tricked out but just too heavy for us to trailer on and off

Link in signature line to build thread.....8)