Finally getting a new (to me) tin boat, a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all you guys, the reason I am interesting this motor is I thought find a good motor is a lot harder than find a boat, I am new here also new with boat, I do not know how check a motor, so the new one would be the best choice for me, I am looking a deep v boat 14' to 15', most of them maximum horsepower around 30, so I will try to make a deal, when I find boat I will post all the detail here, hopelly get you guys help and may help somebody new like me

Thanks! Yep, I got a 75 gallon cooler rigged up with a typical bilge pump, hose and PVC pipe with holes in it setup. It works well, but after this past weekend I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with a bigger one. If you get a good sack of fish going, it can fill up pretty quick.

Brine said:
Trailer guides look sharp, and it sounds like they do the job well.

Sorry to hear about the Prowler, but glad BPS took it back.

Did you ever get a livewell rigged up?

EDIT: Ming, no doubt about it, there will be lots of folks here willing and able to help you once you get going. Just be as detailed in your posts as possible, and post pictures! Including some pictures will no doubt increase the number of replies to your questions.

Hi all, it's been a while. Need an idea to reinforce my trolling motor bracket. The design is fine still but I need to secure it to the port side top rail. I thought the wood to wood L-brackets securing the right side of it to the deck, plus the nut/bolt and screw up front would be enough, but it's not.

The torque of the TM has pulled the screw loose, and it is going to put too much pressure on my remaining nut/bolt and L-brackets. The side resting on the top rail actually raises off the top rail when the TM is on a higher setting. Ideas on how to cleanly secure this bracket to the top rail would be appreciated.

EDIT: Not that it matters, but I have a Motorguide on the boat now, not this POS Prowler seen in the pics.

Albright1695, I expect a reply STAT! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• tm.jpg
    tm.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,380
run another vertical on the other side and attach like you did the first one???

I ended up doing something along these lines, and it worked great. That thing is solid as stone now, what a difference. Thanks y'all.

Brine said:
run another vertical on the other side and attach like you did the first one???

I haven't visited this thread in a while, but I thought I would post an update since I don't have this boat anymore. I lost my job last Fall (again!) and since I wanted a larger boat anyway, it was the first thing I put up for sale. I sold it to a semi-retired couple that live in a community that has a private lake with slips that you keep the boats in full time. The HP limit for the lake is 15, so my boat is perfect for them. They bought it so they could take their grandkids out fishing, in addition to them using it for their own fun.

I couldn't be happier about who the boat went to. They didn't know much about boats at all, so I delivered the boat a good distance to their lake (no tow hitch on their vehicle), put it in the water for them, and went over EVERYTHING possible that I could think of- trolling motor operation, outboard care, etc. As I went over the boat itself, it made me proud to describe the workmanship and see their reactions. It made me even more glad that I did this build the best I could with the resources I had.

To summarize my experience with this boat, I have no regrets. It is a great bass boat for 2,000 acre lakes or less, and it is fine to stand up on for someone with reasonable balance. It turns out that I am more interested in fishing some of the larger lakes in the area as well, and my little 1436 was of course not ideal for that. I appreciate all the help and feedback I got while building this boat, it is easily one of the most fun projects I've ever taken on.

This Friday I pick up my new (to me) little fiberglass bass boat. However, I know for a fact that this little Sylvan will not be my last tin boat! My next one may be even smaller, something like a car-topper that is good for farm ponds and stuff.

I haven't been, and won't be on the conversions board or too many of the others right now, but please come visit us at the CNCBA forum here on tinboats.net