Finally getting a new (to me) tin boat, a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jiggy, I can send you my pitchfork if'n you want :LOL2: I'm not using it anymore. Maybe you could patent it and sell it to Bass Pro!

jasper60103, I wish but nah- I can't keep it even to mod it. Boat is already posted for sale here and elsewhere :cry:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I took my 1436 out today, and with me, a 250 lb friend and too much gear, it ran 20.5 mph on the gps. I bet I could get close to 25 by myself. Great running motor, fun little boat.

Here's my boat with the motor on it, not a very good pic but anyway it looks real sharp.

P.S. I already sold the boat and trailer that came with the motor :shock:

Attachments

• tohatsu.jpg
    tohatsu.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 1,083
Boat looks great Hydrilla. How did it do getting on and off the trailer?

Thanks Jiggy, I'm enjoying it so far.

Brine, it does ok except this weekend reminded me I need to add some guides, because the wind gets me crooked pretty easily. Figured that's what you were probably getting at, and you're right :LOL2: That and a livewell are the next (and last) orders of business.

Well....I was just wondering if having the outboard makes it that much easier to load if you can power-load the boat up on to the bunks without needing trailer guides as much, as opposed to guys like me who have to load the boat with a trolling motor only most of the time. BTW, if you're getting any of the wind we've had the past couple days...it's been brutal.

I hear ya. Yeah having an outboard makes it a little bit easier, but I still really need some guides. I got the front on no problem, and with the wind, the back end was pretty far off, I had to reach over the side and pull it back to the center.

nice boat. we also have a full blooded corgi man does he shed. i like the camo.

I was posting tonight to give some feedback about my Prowler trolling motor (that I no longer have, thank goodness), but while I'm here I may as well post about my trailer guides. I borrowed the ladder stabilizer idea, and man did it work great! I can't believe how easy it is to trailer my boat now. In the pic it looks like they are touching the boat, but I have about 3/4" of space on each side. If anyone is considering this method, I say go for it- can't beat it for about $25.

OK so the Prowler bow mount trolling motor- just say no. This past Saturday was about the 5th or 6th time I had it out since I bought it new at BPS in Concord NC. I went with it because it was $329.99 and the only motor in it's price range with variable speed. By last weekend, the electrical issues were unbearable. When you step on the button, the motor would start, but would never stop when you let go. While in this continuous mode that wasn't supposed to be, you could turn the dial up to go faster, but you couldn't turn it down. The only way to go slower or to stop is to turn the switch to the off position. Similar problems when the switch was in the continuous position- you could turn it up but not down.

Simple fix? Maybe. Maybe it's just a switch or something. However there is only one way to get repairs done- send it to BPS rod and reel repair department, and kiss your Spring goodbye. No thanks. Fortunately they let me return the motor, and tonight I picked up a 46 lb Motorguide with a 36" shaft and a 360 flex Gator mount. It's much lighter overall, which is good for my small rig. I know Minn Kota makes a fine trolling motor too, and I can tell this motor as well as the Minn Kota in this price range wouldn't be good for a big gofast bass boat, but I think it will do fine for me. Oh, and by the way, I asked the guy in the marine department if many of the Prowlers come back, and he turned to me and said "They ALL come back." The bow mounted one can't be found anywhere, but I would recommend staying away from even the transom mounted ones. These are not made by Motorguide like some have said, they are made in China. OK, enough rambling, good night all :)

Attachments

• guides.jpg
    guides.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 968
Oh, and I am finally getting used to this smallboat fishing thing and am catching a few fish, I was starting to worry :LOL2: Here's a couple perty 2 - 2 1/2 lb fish from last weekend.

Attachments

• mack_fish.jpg
    mack_fish.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,000
Hydrilla said:
I was posting tonight to give some feedback about my Prowler trolling motor (that I no longer have, thank goodness), but while I'm here I may as well post about my trailer guides. I borrowed the ladder stabilizer idea, and man did it work great! I can't believe how easy it is to trailer my boat now. In the pic it looks like they are touching the boat, but I have about 3/4" of space on each side. If anyone is considering this method, I say go for it- can't beat it for about $25.

OK so the Prowler bow mount trolling motor- just say no. This past Saturday was about the 5th or 6th time I had it out since I bought it new at BPS in Concord NC. I went with it because it was $329.99 and the only motor in it's price range with variable speed. By last weekend, the electrical issues were unbearable. When you step on the button, the motor would start, but would never stop when you let go. While in this continuous mode that wasn't supposed to be, you could turn the dial up to go faster, but you couldn't turn it down. The only way to go slower or to stop is to turn the switch to the off position. Similar problems when the switch was in the continuous position- you could turn it up but not down.

Simple fix? Maybe. Maybe it's just a switch or something. However there is only one way to get repairs done- send it to BPS rod and reel repair department, and kiss your Spring goodbye. No thanks. Fortunately they let me return the motor, and tonight I picked up a 46 lb Motorguide with a 36" shaft and a 360 flex Gator mount. It's much lighter overall, which is good for my small rig. I know Minn Kota makes a fine trolling motor too, and I can tell this motor as well as the Minn Kota in this price range wouldn't be good for a big gofast bass boat, but I think it will do fine for me. Oh, and by the way, I asked the guy in the marine department if many of the Prowlers come back, and he turned to me and said "They ALL come back." The bow mounted one can't be found anywhere, but I would recommend staying away from even the transom mounted ones. These are not made by Motorguide like some have said, they are made in China. OK, enough rambling, good night all :)

Could you go over the ladder stabilizer idea for me? I've been looking for some trailer guides but everything is running from $65-$100. If I could do it for $25, that would be awesome. What do I need to get and where do I get it? Thanks. :D

I did mine based on this, it's a method/link that has been posted here before-

https://www.widgetsailor.com/owners/greg/guides.html

Basically you cut the thing in half, get some U bolts and attach it to your trailer, slip some 2" PVC over the top with a cap on each side, attach each piece with a screw so they don't fly off/float off, and that's about it. $25 may be a little low if you have to get U-bolts, $30 is probably more like it, but still- that's a lot better than paying $100+. Also, lots of people that have these mount their tail lights toward the top of the PVC, to improve visibility in traffic, and to avoid dunking your lights in the water every time you go to the lake.

I'm pretty new to boating and brand new to modding. I gotta say you've done some really nice work. I'd love to see more pics, from a side perspective, of your trailer guides.

Enjoy the fishing!

Hydrilla said:
I did mine based on this, it's a method/link that has been posted here before-

https://www.widgetsailor.com/owners/greg/guides.html

Basically you cut the thing in half, get some U bolts and attach it to your trailer, slip some 2" PVC over the top with a cap on each side, attach each piece with a screw so they don't fly off/float off, and that's about it. $25 may be a little low if you have to get U-bolts, $30 is probably more like it, but still- that's a lot better than paying $100+. Also, lots of people that have these mount their tail lights toward the top of the PVC, to improve visibility in traffic, and to avoid dunking your lights in the water every time you go to the lake.

Thanks for the info. That looks like a pretty easy (and inexpensive) fix for trailer guides. I saw on the link you provided that that guy said he used the u-bolts that came with the stabilizer to attach to the trailer, did your stabilizer come with mounting hardware or did you use something different? Thanks again.

It does come with mounting hardware, and you may be able to use those U bolts if you mount it to the sides of your trailer. I couldn't get that to work on mine, I think it was a clearance issue, so I tried first bolting it to the cross member (which would require pretty huge U bolts) and ended up bolting them to the super heavy duty taillight mounts that were welded on my trailer. Not sure this would be a good idea unless your trailer, like mine, has very thick steel here. Bottom line is, buy the stabilizer, and figure out how to make it work. You'll be able to.

Oh and Lawdog, thanks- I'll try to take some pics of the side of the trailer soon.

Hydrilla

Hi Hydrilla
I am new here, learn a lot, got guts to do this by myself, right now I am looking for a boat I can work with, I saw you choose Tahatsu, I have a friend's friend has a 1990 tahatsu 30 hp, I took look it once, the guy only use it first year 3 times, and put in the original box, looks like brand new, he want sell it for $1600(canadian), as friends I can get a bit better deal, can you tell me it is good deal?

Sounds like an OK deal considering the year. I wouldn't consider it a steal, but many motors from around that year go for $800-1200, and aren't in as good shape. Tohatsu/Nissan, Honda and Yamaha seem to hold their value well. It seems to vary quite a bit depending on the region. Stuff seems more expensive here than I see in some other states, when I see listings. If it's worth it to you and it checks out to be a good motor, then I say go for it.

I will recommend that you get as close to maxing out the horsepower for whatever boat you get, as you are able. My boat is rated for a 15 and that's what I have. It is fast and planes quickly, even with two 200+ lb guys and too much gear. If I had a 9.9, that might not be the case, I think.

By the way, welcome!

ming said:
Hi Hydrilla
I am new here, learn a lot, got guts to do this by myself, right now I am looking for a boat I can work with, I saw you choose Tahatsu, I have a friend's friend has a 1990 tahatsu 30 hp, I took look it once, the guy only use it first year 3 times, and put in the original box, looks like brand new, he want sell it for $1600(canadian), as friends I can get a bit better deal, can you tell me it is good deal?

Last year I bought a 1991 25 HP Tohatsu short shaft that runs like a top for $250. Of course, it doesn't look brand new, but definitely looks good enough at this point. Just letting you know as a point of reference - and it was through Ebay, not some, "I got it from an old man deal."

Trailer guides look sharp, and it sounds like they do the job well.

Sorry to hear about the Prowler, but glad BPS took it back.

Did you ever get a livewell rigged up?

Latest posts