Finally getting a new (to me) tin boat, a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrilla said:

Here is an 'on the water' pic at Lake Mackintosh where I fished today. No fish caught yet (44 degree muddy water), but I'm sure it won't take long 8)

Well, count your blessings. 18 degrees in Minneapolis, icy water. LOL! :LOL2:

The rig looks great. Nice job!

I won't complain about 44 degree water again, I promise! :LOL2: Heck, I fished a hot hole lake today (Belews) and 64 degree water, and still didn't catch any fish, not even a dink! :roll: Still an awesome weekend.

1436delta, I don't have an outboard yet, but I plan to get one by February at the latest. I'll post about it here when I do. I plan to get either a 9.9 or a 15hp (max rating), depending on what deal I find. I will buy used, and I'd love to find a Tohatsu/Nissan or Yammie, but I know that's a tough thing to do since people don't really sell them much. I would be ok with a nice Merc or Johnson/Evinrude as well. Regardless of brand, I'm not interested in anything older than a 90s era motor.

***Something of note that I forgot to add, regarding the BPS Prowler trolling motors. This applies to the bow mount models, I can't say if it applies to the transom mount ones or not- I would assume they are the same. Even though they are made by another company- I think it's a Chinese company, I can't remember, Motorguide props CAN be used on these motors. This is a big deal, because the props made for these motors are very thin and flimsy, not something you would want to trust around anything but wide open water. I hope this helps someone someday, if they do a search on Prowler trolling motors made for Bass Pro Shops.

EDIT: About the motor in general, the 45 lb 12v bow mount model is a decent buy for the money I think. It's not what I call a great TM, but for about $325, to get a variable speed TM, I think it's a good motor for a jon boat. It is quiet and seems sturdy.

Boat looks great!! It's nice to know it feels stable to you, now like you said, go catch so some fish and get it all fishy.

Doug

Not really sure but it feels comparable to a typical Motorguide, let's say a Brute 767 model for example. I'm guessing 20-25 lbs including the pedal? Sorry, not much help.

ericshayes said:
how much does that trolling motor weigh? Thanks

They had them at the Charlotte BPS right before Christmas, I don't know if they still have them or not. They have never been on the website, or at least not since I've been checking them out. I was told it was an item they just started carrying this year, so maybe they just haven't been really added to the inventory. Or maybe they have been discontinued. I wish I knew more about these TMs. I'm not sure where you live, but it wouldn't hurt to call Charlotte BPS and ask if they still have the bow mount Prowlers.

ericshayes said:
Can you still buy them? I was at bps recently and didn't see them.

Great looking boat and trailer. Your hard work and extra effort really makes the boat unique; you can tell the boat was constructed with quality =D>

For the boat, what was the top color called and from whom?
For the trailer, I know you hit it with rustoleum rust converter. Did you use something else for topcoat?

Thanks again y'all. MeanMouth, the boat paint is Krylon Color Creations, you can get it at Walmart for about $7/quart. Even though I used it all over the outside, I would recommend something more resilliant as bottom paint. You can find opinions that latex enamel isn't good for tin boat paint at all, but it seems fine to me so far, especially using self-etching primer under it. The color according to Krylon is Khaki. You can get it in both a quart container, and a spray can, which I used a little bit of for hard to reach places.

I used regular old gloss black Rustoleum rattle cans for the trailer, and it turned out well I think. When I do another boat, I really hope to have some spray equipment, you sure do go through a lot of paint using rattle cans, it gets danged expensive.

Hydrilla said:
Thanks again y'all. MeanMouth, the boat paint is Krylon Color Creations, you can get it at Walmart for about $7/quart. Even though I used it all over the outside, I would recommend something more resilliant as bottom paint. You can find opinions that latex enamel isn't good for tin boat paint at all, but it seems fine to me so far, especially using self-etching primer under it. The color according to Krylon is Khaki. You can get it in both a quart container, and a spray can, which I used a little bit of for hard to reach places.

I used regular old gloss black Rustoleum rattle cans for the trailer, and it turned out well I think. When I do another boat, I really hope to have some spray equipment, you sure do go through a lot of paint using rattle cans, it gets danged expensive.
Thanks for the reply Hydrilla. Kudos again to you and your project. Looks awesome!

The search for a motor is over, I got a 2000 model 15hp Tohatsu! It is in fantastic shape, starts on the first pull every time, and purrs like a kitten. "Almost" sounds like a 4 stroke to me even though it isn't.

Here are a couple of pics 8) Yes there is a piece of pitchfork strapped to the lower unit, used as a deflection plate. I'm also including a pic of the 15' long 42" wide Polar Kraft boat and trailer that came with the deal! Too bad I can't keep this boat too, it's already been vetoed by "the boss".

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 841
  • motor2_sm.jpg
    motor2_sm.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 841
  • motor_sm.jpg
    motor_sm.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 841
That should do the trick for yas...Glad ya found what ya wanted....The pitchfork idea looks like one of my redneck inventions :LOL2: .....Hope ya get lots of good service outta the motor........JIGGY

Here are a couple of pics 8) Yes there is a piece of pitchfork strapped to the lower unit, used as a deflection plate. I'm also including a pic of the 15' long 42" wide Polar Kraft boat and trailer that came with the deal! Too bad I can't keep this boat too, it's already been vetoed by "the boss".

Nice looking motor.
The best deals seems to be on a complete rig sometimes. I've been tempted many times. Tell the boss how much money saved and an extra boat will keep you out trouble. :D Think the boss will let you mod it first?

Latest posts