Hub bearing sizing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Think I know the answer but will ask anyways...
Do I have to take apart my hub assembly to order a new hub, bearing , oil seal?
Thinking yes.
Hopeing maybe i can just check the outer bearing, straight spindle, thinking 1"... just not sure on the oil seal.
Current hub and bearing are fine, just want to have an assemnly on hand.

I would take it apart and see what it needs. Clean the bearings and races do an inspection. Might only need the bearings repacked. You will still need a new seal, check the old seal for a number or measure the spindle. If you need everything new you will know exactly what parts you need. Also you will know what grease you used, not all greases are compatible.

Most boat trailers will use 1" or 1 1/16" bearings, although stepped spindles do exist.

I have seen grease seals that vary on the OD where they fit into the hub, but from what I've seen the race on the spindle is more or less the same.

You really need to pop off the hub to check. Some are straight and some are tapered.
1", 1-1/16", 1-1/8", 1-1/4" are common sizes for straight bearings.
1-1/16 x 1-3/8" is common for tapered, but sometimes it's 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" or other.

It is SO much easier to pop it off and determine sizes NOW, than after you have a problem. Remove the cotter pin, unscrew the nut, pull the hub. Done.

I keep spare bearings around, but I really like to keep a spare hub, ready to go, along with some emery tape to smooth out any damage on the spindle, if a bearing goes out badly.

I hope this helps.

You really need to pop off the hub to check. Some are straight and some are tapered.
1", 1-1/16", 1-1/8", 1-1/4" are common sizes for straight bearings.
1-1/16 x 1-3/8" is common for tapered, but sometimes it's 1-1/4" x 1-3/8" or other.

It is SO much easier to pop it off and determine sizes NOW, than after you have a problem. Remove the cotter pin, unscrew the nut, pull the hub. Done.

I keep spare bearings around, but I really like to keep a spare hub, ready to go, along with some emery tape to smooth out any damage on the spindle, if a bearing goes out badly.

I hope this helps.

I have a spindle welded to the frame of my trailer with a spare tire, hub, bearings, the whole shootin' match bolted on and ready to go. Just don't try to use it as a step.

Latest posts