My Project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yest. i just got 2 weights and a 7 inch pedestal for the bak bench of my boat. but the prob. is that i want this.... but i have 15lb weights. :(

Anchormate

tompatt said:
its like a piece of plywood the owner before had on it. im guessing he had one on before then took them off, but im gonna take it off. i dont like it. im gonna try and make a plan for the front deck and then put on my TM. the plywood is like drilled into the top of the boat. i cant take any pics of my boat till about fri or so. im in KY and my boat is bak home in GA. i can tell u some about the boat.... we got it from one of my mom's friend's dad. he was old. it was too small for him and his family to use. so the boat had been out like 3 times. the engine is like a 10 yr. old johnson 6 hp motor. and the boat and the trailer are brand new. My mom got it for about $800. It came with all the stuff it has on it now. Im not goin to do anything to the boat first.. until i aleast take it out once and get a feel for the boat. I think ill mount the trolling motor on the front rightside of the boat. today i think im goin with my grandpa to go get a Battery Charger for the boat battery... once i get one.
Wait, your mom bought the boat for you, and you got the car for your birthday? I take it you don't have to work for your toys.....

Your engine age estimate is WAY off. It is more like 35 years old. Give me the model number (located on the left side of the transom clamp) and I can tell you the exact year. I love the OMC twins. Especially in the under 25 or 30 horse range, they will run forever and then some. The mid to late 70s are great years to own, as a workhorse, as they are new enough to have modern desirable features, but old enough that they don't have all the special electronics and other parts that limit an engines age to less than 20 years.

bassboy1 said:
tompatt said:
its like a piece of plywood the owner before had on it. im guessing he had one on before then took them off, but im gonna take it off. i dont like it. im gonna try and make a plan for the front deck and then put on my TM. the plywood is like drilled into the top of the boat. i cant take any pics of my boat till about fri or so. im in KY and my boat is bak home in GA. i can tell u some about the boat.... we got it from one of my mom's friend's dad. he was old. it was too small for him and his family to use. so the boat had been out like 3 times. the engine is like a 10 yr. old johnson 6 hp motor. and the boat and the trailer are brand new. My mom got it for about $800. It came with all the stuff it has on it now. Im not goin to do anything to the boat first.. until i aleast take it out once and get a feel for the boat. I think ill mount the trolling motor on the front rightside of the boat. today i think im goin with my grandpa to go get a Battery Charger for the boat battery... once i get one.
Wait, your mom bought the boat for you, and you got the car for your birthday? I take it you don't have to work for your toys.....

Your engine age estimate is WAY off. It is more like 35 years old. Give me the model number (located on the left side of the transom clamp) and I can tell you the exact year. I love the OMC twins. Especially in the under 25 or 30 horse range, they will run forever and then some. The mid to late 70s are great years to own, as a workhorse, as they are new enough to have modern desirable features, but old enough that they don't have all the special electronics and other parts that limit an engines age to less than 20 years.

LOL yea man. the jeep was for my 15th bday and the boat was for my 16th bday. but im the good child. the smart computer dude (not geek lol) i play sports. i play basketball even though im white. the black kids call my Larry Bird. lol cuz they cant block me. i think im half black or its the Kentucky genes. :D Plus my dad is a Sarg. with the sheriff's office down here. im workin on my jeep and now my boat. im just guessin about the engine lol. im in KY. im leavin tom. so ill find it out later tom. or fri.

heres the plan i drew up in like 5 min. lol ill just have one door in the deck. Tell me if u like it. if not give me some suggestions to make it better. im open to anything. :D

Yellow- 2x4 beams
Red- 2x4 goes across beams
Gray- Brackets
Blue- Plywood for sides
Pink Outline- The door
Baby Blue- Handle

untitled2.jpg

The thing that comes to mind off the bat is to go lighter on the lumber. You really don't want 4x4's in your boat. I have seen some use 2x4's, I used 2x3's because of availability, but in reality 2x2's are brobably the best option in a boat.

bAcKpAiN said:
The thing that comes to mind off the bat is to go lighter on the lumber. You really don't want 4x4's in your boat. I have seen some use 2x4's, I used 2x3's because of availability, but in reality 2x2's are brobably the best option in a boat.

wow lol. i meant 2x4s not 4x4s. HAHA!but would a 2x2 hold just as much as a 2x4?

heres another plan. I think i like this better

Red- 2x4s
Yellow- 2x4 Beams
Blue- 2x2s
Pink- Hatch
Silver- Brackets
Lime Green- Plywood for Sides

untitled3-1.jpg

Jim said:
From what I have seen from the other mods done by the other guys, I think its fine..Don't hold me to it though.

LOL. what kind of plywood should i use.... im gonna deck the front, then lay a floor across the middle. 3/4 for all of it?

tompatt said:
Jim said:
From what I have seen from the other mods done by the other guys, I think its fine..Don't hold me to it though.

LOL. what kind of plywood should i use.... im gonna deck the front, then lay a floor across the middle. 3/4 for all of it?
Naw, 3/4 is too big and heavy. I would go with 1/2, and I believe pbw used 3/8 on his. Check his thread, and see what his structure spacing is. As for the type, don't get pressure treated. It is heavy, and more importantly, corrosive to aluminum. I don't know how familiar you are with plywood, but at your average home improvement store, they will have a couple types. One is sheathing, which will have a fairly good side, but usually the backside will be knarly. Another is furniture grade (probably not the right name, but that is what it is commonly used for). It has 2 clean sides, usually with footballs in the voids. That is probably what you want. Sometimes, you can find a pallet of sheathing that came from a good set of trees, so the backside doesn't have many knots or voids. If you find this, it will save you a few bucks.

bassboy1 said:
tompatt said:
Jim said:

Naw, 3/4 is too big and heavy. I would go with 1/2, and I believe pbw used 3/8 on his. Check his thread, and see what his structure spacing is. As for the type, don't get pressure treated. It is heavy, and more importantly, corrosive to aluminum. I don't know how familiar you are with plywood, but at your average home improvement store, they will have a couple types. One is sheathing, which will have a fairly good side, but usually the backside will be knarly. Another is furniture grade (probably not the right name, but that is what it is commonly used for). It has 2 clean sides, usually with footballs in the voids. That is probably what you want. Sometimes, you can find a pallet of sheathing that came from a good set of trees, so the backside doesn't have many knots or voids. If you find this, it will save you a few bucks.

what should i go with then? :?:

If the sheathing is good (not all that common, but it happens) you can go with it, otherwise, the next grade up will be your best bet. The store is not going to call it furniture grade, but you should be able to find it. I just checked the Georgia Pacific website (Home Depot sells that brand) and it is called Sanded Project panels.

Just go to Lowes or Home Depot, and check the plywood, starting at the cheapest (which will more than likely be sheathing) and work your way up, checking both sides till you find one with few, if any voids. You will want to coat the wood with a spar varnish, decking water seal, or a good oil based paint to make it weather resistant.

before i start anything. im trying to figure everything out. like i want a pedestal for my seat that will be on the front bench, so i wont cramp up my legs. which is the best pedestal to use? and how would i put it in? also wat kind of screws do i need to use to connect the deck? anything special?

tompatt said:
also wat kind of screws do i need to use to connect the deck? anything special?
Stainless. Putting regular steel screws in a boat will make the future owner hate you forever. Trust me on that one.

bassboy1 said:
tompatt said:
also wat kind of screws do i need to use to connect the deck? anything special?
Stainless. Putting regular steel screws in a boat will make the future owner hate you forever. Trust me on that one.

im planning on that boat not having a future owner. :D

Latest posts