new boat build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semojetman

Reaction score
So I sold my 17' weldcraft Sunday and I'm gathering parts for my new build.

18' blazer ss with an inboard V8.

I will post pics as I start getting it together.

Its gonna be a fun rig.

I hope so. Blazer is about to start building my boat. I'm supposed to have it by end of july.
Its an 1856 supersport with an all aluminum transom, .100 hull, diamond plate front nose, and the new wide side caps
20" transom, yeah only 20"

I picked up the motor last night. A 350 V8 out of a ski boat.
Gonna get it freshened up while waiting on the boat.

Its a full flat bottom. 56" inches of flatness.
I'm runnin a Berkeley 12JE pump

The guys at blazer were kindve confused when I described what I wanted.
Of course I waited til the end to say it was gonna be an inboard.

They are doing a 20" transom and placing the mandatory rear bench as far forward as possible.

If I may...
I'm afraid 56"W/pure flat/800-900 pounds of V8 power=disappointing performance. Discuss with Calvin some of the early Scorpion 3 degree/2056 builds he did. At best the 3 degree Scorp's were woeful turning, but far better than pure flats. If you choose to stay pure flat, you'll need a loader grate to see above 40mph.

Kevin Turner said:
If I may...
I'm afraid 56"W/pure flat/800-900 pounds of V8 power=disappointing performance. Discuss with Calvin some of the early Scorpion 3 degree/2056 builds he did. At best the 3 degree Scorp's were woeful turning, but far better than pure flats. If you choose to stay pure flat, you'll need a loader grate to see above 40mph.

I'd have to agree with Kevin here, and think maybe the 240hp SportJet would be the way to go if you want balls out inboard jet performance. JMO

I'm with them, never been to impressed by the inboards. I haven't seen a whole lot of them but most of them had 350's and I wasn't impressed. They seemed like they'll haul a load pretty good but that's was about it. Not sayin you can't get hem to haul but I think they need a good stout motor that'll make some good torque.
How fast you expecting this setup to be?

I have to agree with that last few post on this as well. I'm not aware of any reputable boat builder which specializes in inboard jet boats that do a flat bottom boat. Most inboard builders will do from 5 - 12 degree and form a delta pad or radius to load the pump as well as reverse chines and strakes to make it perform properly. Not saying you can't make it work but most of the early shoal runners 2056's had the pump loaders (an extra 2" sticking below the bottom). I'm no boat builder like Kevin, but I have been running an inboard v8 jet for a number a years: 12 degree 21' feet long X 72" wide, .250 bottom with .190 sides and a heavy SOB. I can run through 4" and slide across less :oops:

Will be interested to see how you can get this thing balanced.

I appreciate your ideas and opinions.
But I assure you I have done extensive research and this is exactly the combination I want.

I am not wanting to run a 100 mph and I do not expect porsche handling on turns.
I know all the pros and cons that have got me to this point.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers but if you are only wanting to follow a boat build that is exactly what you want in a boatthen you should build a boat and follow its build. Just sayin.
All other jet enthusiast , I will get pics up soon. I picked up the trailer and pump today.

P.S. I do not like sport jets.

Again, I appologize if I sounded rude, I know most mean well and think their helping.
And I don't turn down good help and advice.

Its gonna be a fun build and I am 100% positive I will love it.
Will there be some bumps in the road? Of course there will be.

I've been planning and researching and testing this build for years now and I know exactly how I want it, will it be as good as a $45000 gator? most likely not. But it is gonna do what I want it do do.

semojetman said:
I am not wanting to run a 100 mph and I do not expect porsche handling on turns.

Then you will not be disappointed.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers.

PS. no one is trying to discourage you bc they want you to build something else, they are giving constructive criticism bc you are going to put an iron boat anchor in the back of a flat bottom. Will it make noise? Absolutely. Will it do any one thing well? absolutely. (make noise)

I apologize if I sound rude.

I will refrain from posting in this thread again.

Good luck with the build.

250-300 horses of american muscle with V8 thru hull exhaust = smiles on my face
Rattly little 2 stroke smoke machines = smiles on others faces
Different strokes for different strokes.

And of course different geographical areas draw different style setups.
This area is shallow rocky rivers where many run large HP motors.
Lot of weight and run fast.
A lot of V8 boats.

Many in this area have built some radical flat bottom boats.
Most of which are 55 mph+ boats.
It took a lot of test and tune to get to that point but very gratifying when its done.

Maybe we just like building stuff.
Its all about what you like I guess.

Anyways:
Here is some of what I've got so far.
Berkeley 12JE pump
0618121945.jpg

I haven't even seen my boat yet and I've already been havin a blast working on the build.

0612122216.jpg

I'll be posting here and watching this build. This is something I'd love to do. Personally I'd probably put a sport jet in it but like you said, to each his own. Keep the pics coming for sure.

The guy from poplar bluff that does the polishing, he's got a blazer or legend with a flat bottom with an inboard. Is that what your going for? That's a good looking boat. Can't tell what motor or anything but it looks good. did you go with the factor polished or just regular metal?

What if I consider myself to be in the transition period??

Yesterday, I was going through some old notes on similar craft I built in the mid 90's. It brought a smile to my face as I remembered how much fun it was. I'll be watching and wishing you the very the best of luck with your build. KT 8)

Latest posts