New spinning rod build.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first time ever seeing anything like this. I am just simply amazed!!! Good job, can't wait to see the finished product.

I apologize for the lack of progress the last couple days. I had to let the Tru-Oil dry and also needed to throw together a couple ice rods for a trip this weekend. The next update with pics will be tonight or tomorrow.....when I will be reaming and mounting the grip and reel seat.

I did a photo tutorial a few years ago that had about 60 pics in it showing every aspect of the build. It was much more in depth than what I am doing here. If you would like to see it, I can start another thread showing it from start to finish.

That would be interesting to see. I don't think I have the skills or tools necessary to build a rod but I would be neat to see how one is made from start to finish. Can't wait for the update on Jiggy's rod.

=D> =D> The grip is looking sweet and can't wait to see the rest of the build. I know Jiggy is getting excited.

Thanks for posting the link.

Doug

With the ice rods out of the way, I was able to clear the bench and resume working on jiggy's rod.

The area where the grip & reel seat is to be mounted is scuffed with a fine Scotch Brite pad, for proper epoxy adhesion. A piece of tape
is applied to the blank at the location of the end of the reel seat to protect the finish during scuffing.
10scuff.jpg

The grip is reamed to the proper inside diameter to fit the blank. My photographer was at work so all I can show is the grip dry fit on the blank.
11testfitgrip.jpg

The foam arbor in the reel seat is carefully reamed......
12reamseat.jpg

.....and then test fit to it's proper location.
13testfitseat.jpg

The grip and reel seat are dry fit.
14dryfirgripseat.jpg

Don't go looking for Tylenol in my medicine cabinet. :shock:
15epoxycabinet.jpg

Equal parts of paste epoxy are mixed on some scrap cardboard.....
16epoxy.jpg

.....and applied to the blank.
17epoxyblank.jpg

The grip is slid in to place.....followed by the reel seat. The foot from an old spinning reel is used to align the seat to the blank's straightest axis.
18gripseatinstalled.jpg

The butt plug is installed.
19buttplug.jpg

The grip and reel seat are now mounted. Once set, the butt plug will be trimmed and sanded.
20finishedgripseat.jpg

With a fine tooth razor saw, the excess butt plug is cut off....
21cutbutt.jpg

....leaving a rough looking butt.
22roughcap.jpg

A couple passes with a flat file, a buzz with the orbital sander and a swipe of Tru-Oil and it looks like a solid butt cap.
23finishedbuttcap.jpg

5 min. epoxy was mixed and used to install the tip. The broken reel foot was used for alignment.
24tipinstall.jpg

Since I have built rods similar to this in the past, I know about how many guides will be required. So, before the tip was installed, I slid
vinyl bands on to the rod which will be used to hold the guides for wrapping. You can see them placed at various increments on the blank.

I apologize for the lack of progress. I got called back to work last week and have not felt like doing any rod work when I get home. Staring at a computer all day really fatigues the eyes. Should resume work tonight.

shfishinsticks said:
I apologize for the lack of progress. I got called back to work last week and have not felt like doing any rod work when I get home. Staring at a computer all day really fatigues the eyes. Should resume work tonight.

No worries over here! :D

Tinkered a bit with the rod tonight.

Grinding the guide feet with a dremel to allow the thread a smooth transition from blank to guide.
25grindfoot.jpg

Prepped guides.
26preppedguides.jpg

Using the New Guide Concept System, the guides were placed at the proper locations with the small vinyl bands.
A good article on guide sizing and spacing can be found here:
https://www.rodbuilding.org/library/spinningNGC.pdf
27guidelayout.jpg

A Static distribution test is the next step. You want to have the line follow the curvature of the blank with the fewest guides possible.
The rod placed in a holder and some Dacron is tied to the tip and attached to the bench. This is used to load the rod during the test.
More Dacron run through the guides and a small weight is hung from it (just to keep tension on the line).

No load (just the tension from the 2oz weight)
28static1.jpg

light load
29static2.jpg

moderate load
30static3.jpg

heavy load
31static4.jpg

If there would have been any flat spots in the line path, the guides would have been added or adjusted to eliminate it.

Latest posts