Project: Shoebox - 1764 Fisher FINISHED!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man is it a small world...

I am also in the middle of rebuilding a fisher dominator 17. mine is a 1997 with a 40hp merc but is almost exactly like yours. ill start by saying you got one hell of a deal on it for 900... I'm amazed with your project so far it has given me motivation to keep driving on mine. keep up the good work man. I plan on starting a tread on mine here this weekend its cool to see someone with the same boat!

-Dan

Attachments

• front view boat stripped.jpg
    front view boat stripped.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 771
  • back view boat stripped.jpg
    back view boat stripped.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 771
drn1617 said:
Man is it a small world...

I am also in the middle of rebuilding a fisher dominator 17. mine is a 1997 with a 40hp merc but is almost exactly like yours. ill start by saying you got one hell of a deal on it for 900... I'm amazed with your project so far it has given me motivation to keep driving on mine. keep up the good work man. I plan on starting a tread on mine here this weekend its cool to see someone with the same boat!

-Dan

Wow. It does look similar to mine. Your boat has a front deck already to go (have to build mine). Is the outside hull painted? If it isn't, its going to save you some time from stripping the old paint. Didn't see a console either. Post some pics in your new thread. Looking forward to seeing it done. If you have any questions about the boat, let me know.

Fire1386 said:
Those hatches look very good, please keep the pics coming after they are installed.....:)

Will do man. Looking forward to have them installed. Hope to have them in sometime next week. I'll post then.

Well I got quite a bit done over this last week, but still didn’t get the floor in yet, but for good reason (which I will explain later). I did however did cut my hatch holes, pedestal seat and fishing rod holder to the front deck. Here is how I did it.

I first started measuring out the front deck and the hatches to get a center line to make the hatches centered in the deck. I measured from the back of the deck and did some simple math to get lined up and centered.
image002.jpg

I used a straight edge and drew my line across the decks middle. The hatches have a mounting hole that are centered on them as seen in the picture below. I’ll be using the line to center the middle holes on the hatches.
image003.jpg

From there I placed my hatches and pedestal on top of the deck, centered them, and traced the cut out. Here is what I got.
image005.jpg

I started with front hatch first. I drilled four holes in each corner of my cut-out to help start the cut with my jigsaw and to help me round the corners.
image006.jpg

First hatch hole done.
image007.jpg

Here are the hatches installed. I really like the flush mounted look on these guys.
image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

Here is what the hatches look like underneath. I did have to do some shaving of the hole edges to get the hatches to fit. Once they are installed, I’ll address the gaps on the bottom (you can see them clearly in the pic) with some 5200 around the hatch to prevent water from leaking in.
image012.jpg

Next up was cutting a hole for the pedestal base. I used a 2" Bi-Metal Hole Saw and punched right through the deck.
image013.jpg

Here is the 7x7 base in place.
image014.jpg

Side view of the pedestal base installed. This is a screw-in pin type.
image015.jpg

Wanted to see how it all looked together, so I threw the deck onto the boat. Note: The deck is sagging just a bit due to me not having installed the structural support yet for the deck, which I am hoping to have done soon.
image018.jpg

image019.jpg

I also installed a fishing rod holder.
image024.jpg

Here is one of the old seats that I just placed on top of the pedestal. Wanted to see how high the pedestal would raise and how the deck would look like with a seat on it. It rides pretty high (about 22" inches) but its an adjustable pedestal. Kind of nice to be able to lean/stand once in awhile, while fishing. I still need to install a cup holder (which came in yesterday).
image029.jpg

Next on the list was trying to come up with a way to protect all my wiring and cables, running from the front to the back of the boat. I decided I wanted some type of PVC to use as a conduit. After doing some measuring and figuring out what I needed I went with some 2" and 1" Electric PVC Outdoor Piping and a few couplings.

Here is the 2" pipe running along the side. This conduit is where my cable throttle controls will run, along with misc. electrical wiring for accessories, lighting, etc.
image047.jpg

Now, I couldn't use all the 2" piping to the front, due to my side panels tapering from the top to about 1.5", thus making the 2" pipe not fitting and keeping the panel from being mounted flush with the brackets. So I cut the 2" and used some 1" pipe with a reducing coupling. The smaller pipe is only going to have wires for lights and maybe some speaker wire in it, so I really didn't need much room. I do plan on adding a bow mounted TM, but the battery for that will be going into the front of the boat (where the front hatch is located), so I am not concerned about trying to fish larger wires through the smaller pipe.
image051.jpg

Here is the end of the smaller pipe with a swoop attached and right underneath the bow deck. I used my fishing tape to test the set up and see how well I could pull wires through. There were no problems getting the steel tape through the piping.
image050.jpg

This pic here is before I installed the piping. The two red circles indicated where the pipe needed to go, with the line kind of showing how I wanted it to flow. This area is the starboard cavity-well, which is going to be filled with pour-in expansion foam.
image030.jpg

To get the 2" pipe to bend somewhat to the shape I needed, I used my torch to heat it up and bend it to the desired shape, so it could attach to the coupling and the swoop on the bottom. It doesn't take to much heat to do this method, but you need to be careful heating it up to much. Trying to bend it without heating it up was not going to work. I did try using my heat gun first, but it was just not producing enough heat and would have taken a long time to do. You can see some scorching (where the bend is) but that was just from the film that was on the pipe. The integrity of the pipe remained in tact with no issues and is quite rigid. Just make sure to keep the pipe in the desire shaped as it cools down. I just used my hands to hold it together. Also wear some pretty thick gloves. The heat from the pipe is to hot to handle with bare hands while it cools.
image049.jpg

I also did the same thing with the swoop. The hole on the bottom of the cavity is an oval shape, and was not letting the swoop pass through. I just heated up the end and shaped it, then passed it through.
image045.jpg

So if you need to bend some pipe, use a torch. It be even easier to have a pipe bender on hand and shape it that way, but I didn't have one. I did all my torching of the pipe outside the boat. I also used piping glue on the couplings to keep everything together, to ensure it wouldn't come undone. I'll secure the piping with stainless steel hose clamps later on down the road.

After that was done, I started to concentrate on the panel where my remote controller was going to be installed. This is the reason why I didn't get the floor installed yet. I wanted to make sure I could mount the controller and run the throttle cables and the steering cable, without any issues before I installed the floor.

The red circle shows where my cables would be ran through (to the conduit) and the red square highlights the bottom of the panel where the floor would sit on top of. That was my issue. See, if I would of installed the floor and riveted it down, and then try to install the cabling and remote controller I was going to have unforeseeable problems. I am glad I didn't install it FIRST! Because I did run into problems trying to install the cables and controller. If I had put the floor in first, I would had to remove it and fix the issues I discovered. I was not about to let that happen!
image052.jpg

So here is the first issue I had with the controller. The bolts where to long and preventing the bezel (which holds the control handle) from being flush with my controller panel. So I shortened the bolts by placing them in my vice and hack-sawing them down to the length I needed.
image053.jpg

After I got the bolts short and mounted to the bezel I took it over to the panel to see if it would fit. BARELY. First, the controller wouldn't go in from the outside. I had to move the panel outward and place the controller from the inside (this is WHY I didn't install the floor FIRST). The square hole was just a bit to small for the controller to go in from the outside. After I did that, the controller panel still wasn't flush due to the 2" pipe preventing it from being flush. You can kinda see the pipe in the pic, which was causing the problem.
image055.jpg

SOOO to fix that issue, all I did was grab my handy dandy torch and heat up the pipe and flatten the area a bit where it was preventing the controller from being flush. I also cut a hole for the throttle cables. I made a mistake though, by making the hole to BIG. I thought I could run my steering cable through it, but didn't realize the steering cable had a big metal shaft on the end (making it impossible to run it through the entire piping. I'll probably just close it up a bit with some duct tape.
20160506_203525.jpg

Next I needed to address the square cut out in the panel. I wanted to be able to install the controller from the outside after I got the floor installed. So I needed to make the square cut out just a bit bigger to able to do that. It was just a to small to accommodate the controller.
image064.jpg

The black lines show how much I needed to cut out.
image065.jpg

FINALLY. Now I can install this thing from the outside with no worrying about having to rip off the floor.
image066.jpg

After fettle farting around, I finally got the controller to be flush.
image057.jpg

image056.jpg

Here she is with the console, making sure I have clearance for the handle.
image060.jpg

With the issues out of the way, I can finally get the floor installed sometime this week. After I was done messing around with the controller I concentrated on the foam boards that are going between the two long panels. To keep them from falling off, all I did was cut some aluminum angle and riveted them to the inside of the panel. From there all I did was push the foam down onto the angle, which went through easy.
image075.jpg

Its holding the foam board up pretty good.
image076.jpg

I cleaned out the boat with the shop vac and getting ready to seal all the seams along the bottom of the boat with some 5200. The boat (from all the water tests I have done) doesn't leak, but I figure I might as well just seal up those seams for prevention measures. Plus I noticed the seams caught a lot of dirt and debris.

image079.jpg

And here she is all 5200 up'ed! This was a messy job and I must of went through about 10 rubber gloves to get it done. The new chalk gun the wife got me worked great. She's been curing for two days now, so hopefully I can get some work done on her tomorrow.
image083.jpg

Did get some stuff in the mail. Got me a new plug, gas cap, flush mounted hatch handle for my bench seat, gas reader, and 4 flush mounted stainless steel cup holders.
image082.jpg

Also got a new fuel line and gas vent line. Don't need all that hose (just about a foot of hose is all I need) but I guess I doesn't hurt to have extra.
image081.jpg

Still waiting on my hatches to come in for the back casting deck. I called R&R this morning to check the status and they should be here sometime in the middle of next week. The plan now is to get this floor installed and cut the framing for the front deck and hopefully start building the rod locker. I am getting closer and closer to getting this thing done [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Outstanding mod! I just read through the entire thread Saturday and, honestly, catching up was kind of depressing as it was so good but now I have to wait for more posts. I equate it to binge watching multiple seasons of a show on Netflix but then having to watch the current season week by week like normal lol.

I can't wait until you get to the hydroturf install. Lots of guys on here have used it but not many go into too much detail on the install. I have a feeling you will cover all of your bases and give us some great advice on putting it down.

wmk0002 said:
Outstanding mod! I just read through the entire thread Saturday and, honestly, catching up was kind of depressing as it was so good but now I have to wait for more posts. I equate it to binge watching multiple seasons of a show on Netflix but then having to watch the current season week by week like normal lol.

I can't wait until you get to the hydroturf install. Lots of guys on here have used it but not many go into too much detail on the install. I have a feeling you will cover all of your bases and give us some great advice on putting it down.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. I'll have some pics up sometime this week. Hopefully by the weekend. I should be doing some hydroturf this week (on the floor that is) and will give some feedback on how I did it. Right now I am in the phase of installing the floor. I have been playing with the side panels and cutting some bracing brackets, making sure the floor will go in smooth and preventing any problems I may come across. Got a lot of work done today, and the plan is for me to rivet that SOB floor DOWN tomorrow!!

How sturdy are those hatches? Particularly the biggest one. I am about to order one that is similar, don't know if I'm gonna go for the stock 12x30ish one or get one a little larger like you. Mine will be the only hatch on my front deck, so I will be standing on It some while fishing and wanted to make sure it will hold.

The shop told me they have a 300lb weight limit so I don't think that will be a problem, but u wanted to know from someone who has one in already.

crazydrake said:
How sturdy are those hatches? Particularly the biggest one. I am about to order one that is similar, don't know if I'm gonna go for the stock 12x30ish one or get one a little larger like you. Mine will be the only hatch on my front deck, so I will be standing on It some while fishing and wanted to make sure it will hold.

The shop told me they have a 300lb weight limit so I don't think that will be a problem, but u wanted to know from someone who has one in already.

The larger one I have now is very sturdy to stand on while on the ground. The lid doesn't flex. I have yet to receive the larger one if the mail yet. Still waiting. Hopefully it ships out sometime this week. I still haven't built the framing support for the front deck yet, but do plan on reinforcing the lips around the hatch on the bottom of the deck. I'll share the process with yea when I get to it, which I am hoping is sometime this weekend.

I think you'll be OK, standing on it. I'll be standing on my from time to time, and have no concerns about standing on them or worrying that they will fail on me.

Been busy with the tin for the last few days. I finally got the floor installed =D> and did some work on the front deck. Lets get started.

Here is the floor about to be roughed up with some 40 grit sandpaper. Thought it be easier to rough it up out of the boat, instead of trying to do it in the boat. I used my orbital sander, which did a fine job.
image002.jpg

And here she is after...
image005.jpg

Here is a close up of the floor. The reason why I roughed it up, is so that the 3M adhesive backing on my Hydroturf had some "teeth" to grab on to when I applied it to the floor. I tried 80 grit, but it seemed it wasn't creating enough teeth. So I went down to 40 grit, which did a fine job of roughing up the surface of the floor.
image003.jpg

Did the same to the bow deck.
image007.jpg

After that, I decided to run a little test on some methods to applying Hyrdoturf.

Below are three samples of Hydroturf that Gator-Trax sent me. They all come with 3M backing. I wanted to see how well the 3M would hold utilizing three different methods. They are as followed:

1. Hyrdoturf with a NON-SANDED surface

2. Hyrdoturf with a SANDED surface (using 40 Grit Sandpaper)

3. Hydroturf with a SANDED surface and using CONTACT CEMENT (DAP Weldwood Contact Cement, Original)

Here is the sample:
image057.jpg

I allowed the samples to dry and applied weight (I used several paint cans) to the turf and let them sit about 8 hours. After letting them sit, I went over to see how well the 3M was holding up.

Here is the NON-SANDED sample. The turf stuck OK, but was pretty easy to remove. The slick surface just didn't give the 3M to grab onto anything. I wouldn't recommend applying the turf without FIRST roughing up the surface.
image058.jpg

Next up was the sanded surface. It was pretty tough to remove and stuck very well to the roughed up surface. A lot better than then NON-SANDED sample. I would recommend doing this for your application. (Note: That is my thumb and my thumbnail is a little roughed up. I have had it like that for the past twenty years, thanks to a combine door that slammed onto my thumb. In case you wanted to ask :roll: )
image059.jpg

The last sample did very well as well. This sample was roughed up, then I applied a very thin film of DAP Weldwood Contact Cement to it. It did however pull up very easy, after I got a good grab on it. In its defense, the cement only cure for about 8 hours, which isn't really ideal. After 24 hours though, it be pretty tough to remove. I would also recommend using this method. Make sure the cement is water and heat resistant. DAP Weldwood is, and is a fine choice for application purposes.
image061.jpg

Moving on, I started to lay down my foam board and elevated channeling, getting it ready for the floor. The foam board sits pretty snug between the channeling and will do a few things for me:

1. Help stiffen up and support the floor.

2. Allow proper drainage underneath the floor.

3. Give the tin some buoyancy and help displace water.

image009.jpg

Here is the view from the bottom of the middle drain channel, showing that I will have enough clearance for proper drainage. I did address the little gap between the foam board (shown in the pic). To fix it, I just added some contact cement to the foam and flashing, and that fixed it right up.
image010.jpg

I also added some bendable hose clamps to my conduit for my wiring, just to give it some added support and to keep it from bumping around while being trailered or out on the water.
image042.jpg

So here is the floor in the boat. Before I started to riveted it down, I drew some lines, to outline where the support beams ran the length of the boat. The reason why I outlined the floor like that, is because I didn't want to start drilling and riveting the floor down, trying to figure out where the support beams were. This way, I took out the guess work and knowing where I needed to drill my holes.
image045.jpg

I space out my rivets using my combo square. I had only so many to use, and wanted to be sure I had enough to get the floor in.
image046.jpg

Didn't take too much time, but here is the floor, FINALLY installed!!! No more moving it in and out of the boat, or placing it out of the way in the shop. The floor is pretty stiff, and there is very, very minimal flex in it. In fact, I hardly can't tell at all. This puppy isn't going anywhere.
image047.jpg

With the floor in, I wanted to see what the Hydroturf would look like in it. So I threw it in. I have some trimming to do, but very little. Should be an easy install, but I am going to wait until I address a few other things first. That's one whole sheet of turf. Still have 3 more sheets to use up. I really like the look so far. I did stand on it barefoot, and it was pretty comfortable on the feet.
image029.jpg

From there, I needed to fix a worry that was coming from the back. My worry was about the PVC pipe running through the side wall of my back deck. In the picture below, the pipe is just sticking out, and has gaps all around it. This posses a problem, because on the other side of that wall, is where I am filling the cavity with expansion foam. With the gap, the foam is going to spill through, thus leaking into my motor well, and causing a freaking mess. I don't want that happening.
image018.jpg

So I purchase a rubber piping reducer and fit it between the hole and ran the pipe through it. It worked like a charm. The rubber flexed and sealed the hole. I may run a bead of 5200 around it for added measure, but think it will do a great job from keeping foam leaking out.
image019.jpg

Here is the other side (where the cavity sits, and the foam is going).
image020.jpg

After that was taken care of, I focused on the front of the floor, where I had a pretty significant gap between the two outer support beams and the floor. There was just too much flex going on up front.
image023.jpg

I needed a way to fill in the gap and to help support the floor from the front. So I came up with an idea of using some of my aluminium scrap from my sheeting, and make some shims for it. I just measured out the beams width and gave myself some length, and cut the scrap down. From there I just sprayed some contact cement to the shims and let the glue set up before putting them all together.
image025.jpg

After the glue set up, I put the shims together and clamped them down between some scrap wood and let them dry for a few hours.
image026.jpg

The shims worked out pretty good, and gave the support I was looking for. I finished up by riveting them in.
image045a.jpg

Since I had the table-saw out (when I cut up the shims) I went ahead and cut the floors for the back deck that are going to go over the cavities. Still have to trim them up a bit and cut some hatch holes, but I have to wait until my hatches come in.
image041.jpg

Now it was on to attacking and creating the floor for the very front of the boat. I needed to extend the main floor just a little bit to accommodate the far front hatch for a future battery for a front mounted trolling motor and random gear.
image035.jpg

Since the area I was working with was not flush and working against the hull, I used some cardboard and shaped it to the angle of the hull, trying to figure out what worked best. This is what I came up with.
image037.jpg

With the template made, I traced it out onto some sheeting, cut it out and cut some aluminum angle and added it to the edge of the new floor to add some support. From there I riveted it down to the beams. Its pretty **** solid and will also help support the vertical support bars for the casting deck.
image068.jpg

That's all for now. I did get some other work done. I started working on some more framing for the front deck and worked on the bracing for the side panels, but I am too tired to post any thing else tonight :| . I will though, share it later. I'm off to bed. The heat just kicked my butt today.

Got some work done over the last few days, but progress has slowed down a bit, due to running low on pop rivets and still waiting for my hatches to come in. The hatches should be here Friday. I ordered some more rivets and they'll be in on Wednesday. The plan is to get the holes cut for the back hatches on Saturday and hopefully start working on the vertical support for the front deck. I won't be able to work on the boat for about a week after that. Have family coming into town.

Here what I got done so far.

I replaced the original brackets that held the two smaller front side panels. The old ones were pretty crappy, and were chewed up by the prior owner. Plus they weren't holding in the panels very well.
image032.jpg

I decided to trim the panels up as well, using my table saw. They too, were uneven and a mess.
image062.jpg

Here is the star board side of the front panel with the new bracket installed. I also added a sheet of aluminum scrap to the bottom of the panel and riveted to the panel.
image064.jpg

The original owner had cut them short (for some unknown reason) which resulted from the panel not coming all the way down to the floor, showing a pretty large gap. I didn't like it, so that is why i added a sheet to the bottom of it. It kind of looks like crap, but won't be seen, because it'll be covered by the front deck.

I also stiffened up the front deck as well. I added a 1x1 square tube, to help support the back hatch. The bar will also be used to hold the wall I plan on placing in to start creating the storage compartment.
image050.jpg

I then added 4 more angle brackets. Two that ran along the hatch, and the other two (which I forgot to take a picture of) runs up in the middle, to help support the middle of the deck and the seat base that is going in.
image052.jpg

After the support bars were installed, I grabbed the seat base, and lined it up to drill the holes for the bolts that will hold the base down. I will be using stainless steel hardware to hold it down. You can see the rivets from the support bars that I was talking about, that run down the middle. The bolt holes for the seat base run through the angle brackets, offering more than enough support for the base.
image053.jpg

This is just me playing around with some ideas, to help support the floor. I am just trying to come up with different ways to build the support beams with the material I have on hand. I just have to make sure I build it right, for I want to attach some compartment walls, and have enough support to stand on safely.
image077.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the walls (this one will go towards the back of the front deck, facing towards the back of the boat). As I mentioned before, you can see the square bar (that is going to help support the lip of the back hatch) that the wall is going to be attached to.
image075.jpg

I also got my rub rail in this week. I wont install it until I am about done with the boat. It fit pretty snug and looks good. I plan on soaking it in hot water in a cooler to help to stretch the rubber out for the install. Its suppose to make it easier by doing that, so we will see.
image040.jpg

Next up on the list was the Hydroturf. Since the bow and front decks were still not installed, I took the opportunity to cut he turf to size while the decks were free.

First was trying to figure out how to save as much Hydroturf that I could, without having to do some crazy cuts. The floor won't be a issue, and will require just minimal trimming near the sides. The front deck I had to spin (opposite of the grooves that are in the turf that run parallel with the floors turf) to save on material. The grooves run from side to side of the boat, but it was the best way to cut the turf. It still looks good and covered the deck. Plus there was no crazy fill in cuts to make.
pic001.jpg

This is what I am talking about. If I ran the turf and cut it this way, I would had to cut additional turf out to fill in those sides showing aluminum towards the back of the deck. It was just to an awkward of a cut to deal with and try to get right. SOOO I saved myself a headache and went the other direction.
pic002.jpg

I clamped the turf and deck down and used the deck itself as the template for my cuts. I also allowed about an inch on each side of the deck of turf to adjust and trim, when I put it the turf down for good.
pic003.jpg

I used an Xacto knife for all my cuts. It did a fine job and made the cuts super easy to do. Cutting into the turf was easy and the Xacto blade made some really clean cuts. Here I am cutting the hole that is for my seat base.
pic005.jpg

After all my cuts were made, I got a little excited and wanted to see how how the hatches, seat base and rod holder looked liked, with the turf in place. So I threw it all together on the boat and really liked the results. Have a little trimming to do, and need to had some scrap turf to the back of the deck, but I think it will turn out good.
pic006.jpg

Did the same for the bow. Like I mentioned before, gave myself some room to play with the trim.
pic010.jpg

Heres an overall shot with everything in place with the turf.
pic011.jpg

I also made some new channeling brackets for the back cavities. My original idea was a PIA to work with, so I came up with this, to replace the old idea.
pic014.jpg

The idea I have here is that its going to be installed (and elevated) in the back cavities, then either a piece of flashing or foam board (haven't decided yet) will be placed in the middle and on top of the new bracket channeling. From there I'll pour my foam in, right on top of the elevated bracket. This one here has been riveted into the front and back of the cavity.
pic019.jpg

Here is the other side I did. This one needed a sheet to run underneath my electrical conduit to help prevent the foam from flowing to the bottom. Plus it will make it easier for me to attach the foam board or flashing when I get around to installing it.
pic020.jpg

I also did some painting. I had a bunch of scratches on the side panels, the rail and the back, that occurred from when I was moving the floor and casting deck in and out of the boat. I wanted to paint BEFORE I installed the Hydroturf, so I got busy.

I sanded all the bad areas first, then wiped them down with some Acetone and put some primer down.
pic032.jpg

pic034.jpg

I also painted my rivets that were replaced after I painted the boat.
pic033.jpg

Here she is all painted up and done. Even painted the new panel brackets and panel sheet. She look's a hell a lot better than before. Those scratches were just driving me crazy, but I knew I was going to get to them.
pic045.jpg

pic044.jpg

pic040.jpg

Also got the drain plug, the U-bolts (that are on the back of the boat for the trailer tie downs), gas cap, bilge drain orifice, and motor well drain installed as well.
pic076.jpg

pic073.jpg

pic071.jpg

pic068.jpg

It's coming along, and I hope to have this bad boy done by the middle of June, so I can take it up to Montana and slay some fish with it. I have to be honest with ya, its cutting it close :shock: :shock: :shock: but I am staying positive that its close enough to start fishing in.

your build is coming along great.. it should be an awesome boat that lasts forever! are you going with a 12 or 24 volt trolling motor?

Latest posts