Rat's 1977 Polar Kraft 1440 refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I got some color on the hull today, it's only primer, but its color! The white is Primekote by Interlux and the chartreuse is the Zinc Chromate primer by Pettit. I messed up the first batch of epoxy primer by putting 333 brushing reducer in it; it calls for 2333N. It didn't go well so I blew a half quart of primer #-o . I hafta pay more attention. Anyway, I don't know about y'all but I was tired of looking at woograin. She's starting to look like a boat now!

polarkraft primer.JPG
polarkraft primer (4).JPG
polarkraft primer (3).JPG
polarkraft primer (5).JPG
polarkraft primer (6).JPG
polarkraft primer (1).JPG

I got the second coat of primer on today. Hopefully the rain will hold of long enough for me to get the top coat on in the next few days. She's starting to look good. I also ordered the kiwigrip so it will be here in a few days; its all starting to come together!

2nd primer coat (1).JPG
2nd primer coat (3).JPG
2nd primer coat (6).JPG
2nd primer coat (10).JPG

Had sever thunderstorms roll through last night so I didn't get to paint; but I did today. Hopefully it stays dry.

here it is, the first coat of Seattle Gray. Nothing like a new paint job to show me how bad a fiberglass layer I am! Someday i will go back and get all the bumps and bobbles out of it. For now, she'll fish.
1st paint (1).JPG
1st paint (2).JPG
1st paint (4).JPG
1st paint (6).JPG
1st paint (7).JPG
1st paint (10).JPG
1st paint (15).JPG

From this: To this:
file.php
file.php

That really looks nice. I'm gonna be priming and painting mine is just a couple days and i was wondering..
when you primed it did you just use a brush?
And also did you paint it with spray gun?
and would you recommend doing it that way.

JohnnyBoy99 said:
That really looks nice. I'm gonna be priming and painting mine is just a couple days and i was wondering..

For the Primer I used a high density foam roller, the 4" one; you can even see it in one of the pictures above. For the paint I used the same roller and had planned to 'tip' it with a brush. But the paint is self leveling and I didn't need to tip it at all; it straightened right out very well. I did use a foam brush/blotter to get the corners and impossible-to-reach-with-a-brush areas. The foam brushes worked perfectly.

I have never sprayed any paint so I really can't tell ya how that goes. I do know that you generally get less coverage if you spray versus roll and tip. If you have access to a spray set up I think it would work great. Make sure to use the right reducer for what you are doing; the Brightside I used calls for different reducers; 333 for brushing and 216 (I think) for spraying. use the right one and you will be good to go.

4" foam roller

One of the secrets to a nice prime/paint job is very thin layers. By using a high density roller you are laying down a very thin layer of paint. this allows the paint to dry faster and also prevents sagging (runs) on vertical surfaces and pooling on horizontal surfaces. It is better to apply 4 very thin layers of paint then two very thick layers of paint, all else being equal.

Rat said:
JohnnyBoy99 said:

For the Primer I used a high density foam roller, the 4" one; you can even see it in one of the pictures above. For the paint I used the same roller and had planned to 'tip' it with a brush. But the paint is self leveling and I didn't need to tip it at all; it straightened right out very well. I did use a foam brush/blotter to get the corners and impossible-to-reach-with-a-brush areas. The foam brushes worked perfectly.

I have never sprayed any paint so I really can't tell ya how that goes. I do know that you generally get less coverage if you spray versus roll and tip. If you have access to a spray set up I think it would work great. Make sure to use the right reducer for what you are doing; the Brightside I used calls for different reducers; 333 for brushing and 216 (I think) for spraying. use the right one and you will be good to go.

4" foam roller

One of the secrets to a nice prime/paint job is very thin layers. By using a high density roller you are laying down a very thin layer of paint. this allows the paint to dry faster and also prevents sagging (runs) on vertical surfaces and pooling on horizontal surfaces. It is better to apply 4 very thin layers of paint then two very thick layers of paint, all else being equal.

Okay, thanks for that. I think what i am going to do is at minimum go with spray the paint. But think i may do the primer a different way. I'm wanting to know if anyone knows if i apply the primer with a high density roller willl it take away from the even all over look you get from a sprayer, or if i should use the sprayer to prime it?

If you are going to spray the paint then spray the primer as well. Roll and tip will give you as good, or better, finish than spraying. Of the three custom boat builders I know, one builds quarter million dollar sailing hulls, they all use roll and tip for primer and paint. Either way you will be good.

BTW, I got the second coat of paint on yesterday and also got some rod holders built; only eight more to go! :shock:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Alright, I got most of the Kiwigrip down, the part on the decks anyway. I didn't order enough for the cockpit, but I need to figure out my seating first. Here are tonights Images. Kiwigrip is like Love; it covers a multitude of sins!
Fore deck masking.JPG
foredeck done qrtr.JPG
foredeck done qrtrq rear.JPG
TM detail.JPG
switch panel.JPG
Aftdeck done.JPG
aft view.JPG
Stem view.JPG

man that looks just like dookie. Just playing. that is something new. I been following your build the whole time. little longer than i expected, but the finished product is killer. hopefully this will inspire folks to shy from carpet, and mess with the wood some more. you built it, sealed it, and then presented it with the paint. Great job. Now lets hear how it works on the water. I'll be the first to give you your proppers. **** fine job.

7hanks y'all. Yea, she has taken a little longer than I expected, but I'm in the HVAC business and I just can't get much done during the Summer, then we had the rains in the Winter, then my buddy got married...Anyway, she's starting to shape up nicely.

Kiwigrip runs $50 a quart and $136 a gallon with shipping: You can find it at Boatbuildercentral.com
Kiwigrip link
I use a mixing stick to dole out clumps over the area to be covered and then use a notched spreader, 1/8th inch notches, to spread it around evenly; then use the loop-goopy roller (comes with the Kiwigrip) to roll it out. It's pretty easy to apply and has great coverage and slip resistance.