Rat's 1977 Polar Kraft 1440 refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the battens glued in for the aft hatch today. I also got most of the electrical box built; I just need to order the switch panel and then cut the face for the box. I am very close to being done with the decking, glass and epoxy (except for touch ups of course). Started laying out the electrical wires and batteries, nothing is perfect but I have just consigned myself to do it and forget about what could have been. The batteries will be below decks and the fuel tank will be in the cockpit.

The Xtreme Hunt is in Feb and I gotta be done by then. So, until then, all extra monies, and time, go to the boat and motor. If it's nice enough I want to paint next weekend (that's the goal anyway).

Pictures tomorrow.

Rat said:
Started laying out the electrical wires and batteries, nothing is perfect but I have just consigned myself to do it and forget about what could have been. .

Your "not quite perfect" if far better then what many of us are doing. Your rig is top notch.

Some updates. Still working on the details, this takes the longest time. I also only have medium hardener for my Epoxy, so it is taking extra long for it to cure in this cold weather.

I found the lights I am going to use; they are made by BEP marine and I found them at my local Academy on sale for $9, they are Amber colored. I am installing two in the forward cockpit area and one in the aft cockpit area. I will add some to the below decks lockers later if I need them.

fore cockpit lights.JPG

closeup light.JPG

Switch panel.JPG

aft hatch.JPG

I have also potted the remaining holes for the Sonar and light sockets, touched up a few areas that needed it with some epoxy glue filler. I just need to run a light sander over everything, wipe it down and then paint; I just need the weather to cooperate, a couple of 70 degree days would do it.

I also checked the parts for the motor, most of the parts I need are no longer available thru OMC. I used Sea Way Marine, they had all of them in stock, looks like it will run about $200 for everything I need. I will have about $475 in the motor when done, not bad really. I will need to get a prop also.

The wiring will be done this week as well, I need to pick up a few wire looms and straps, but that's all.

Looking good Rat, Remeber when you asked me about lights, I just picked up 4 Attwood cockpit lights today at wally world on clearance for 6 bucks for 2. These are the 3/4" flush mount LED white lights, but I see you already found some, looks good. What colors you looking to paint her?

Either Gray with White non-skid or White with Gray non-skid, not real sure yet; but it's going to be light colored, I am tired of having hot feet while fishing! =D>

Rat said:
Either Gray with White non-skid or White with Gray non-skid, not real sure yet; but it's going to be light colored, I am tired of having hot feet while fishing! =D>

Then think about a light gray. Too white and the reflection is hard on your eyes.

Looking good Rat. I have been busy and not posted much. I have tried to do some hunting though. After my maiden voyage I have decided to change a few things on my boat, but nothing that would stop me from using it on the hunt...if I can make it. Hope I get a chance to go and do some hunting and fishing and just some all around fun.

I am embarrassed to say that not much has been done since my last posting. I have really been waiting on a break in this freakish weather we are having to prime and paint the decks, sole and sides, but it looks like it is going to be awhile before I can do that.

In the mean time the Xtreme Hunt is getting close so I have decided to take her to the water sans primer and paint! I have the trolling motor (40 lb bow mount) and parts on the way for the gas motor, rear seat is mounted, batteries are positioned wiring is going in and lights are being installed. basically she will be a naked fisher/hunter her first time out!

I will get images up this week of the progress. Not being able to get her painted yet has been a bummer, but I am just going to have to wait, that's all.

If I can fix the motor, which remains to be seen, I will have her on the water in two weeks, gettin' her muddy at Granger Lake!

She is glued together tho and all the structural works is done and walking around on her is very solid; no sags, creeks or pops. I think she will fish.

Pictures, I promise!

coming together nice rat, Thats a good looking floor plan you got, plenty of room. I know the weather has sucked here for the past few weeks, hard to get anything done, stick with it man she's gonna be great!

I completed pulling all the wire last night and finished up about 2/3 of the wiring. I got the light pole sockets mounted and batteries figured out as well; I just need to build some battery platforms and strap them down.

The trolling motor platform and transom cap are turned in and they are being cut from 1/8 Alu. and broke the correct shapes; I may have them today, but for sure by tomorrow.

That trolling motor is HUGE on the bow of that boat. I gotta figure out a permanent plug location for it, but I think I will use it attached by rings for now, until I use it and see if it needs to move. Plus I will need to take all this out at some point to paint, the less I have to take out the better.

The cockpit/courtesy lights turned out better than I expected, they light up real well.

Motor parts still aren't here yet.

I will be fishing this weekend so not much is going to get done, next week promises to be nice weather so maybe I can get her water ready by then.

Pictures when I get home...

The guys got my metal out in record time today, so I got quite a bit done today. I began by rough fitting the trolling motor platform, then cutting it down to fit exactly right; then I did the same with the transom cap.

Trolling motor platform is cut and broke proud to allow for fitting to the various 'obstructions' on the fore deck.

cut proud.JPG

Then I positioned it close to where I wanted it and made some cuts, stuck it back on with a few rivets holding it and ground/sanded the starboard side to match the rubrail.

initial fit.JPG

Here is how she looks after the final fit

final fit.JPG

Motor up

motor up.JPG

I did the same thing to the transom cap, but it required much more time. I started with a piece of channel 4 x 1 1/2 x 4 just straight. I then laid it out on the transom and marked and cut around the bracing and to get the fall away right. Lots of marking, checking, remarking and cutting, fitting and so on. It turned out pretty nice.

transom cap inside.JPG

transom cap outsdie.JPG

Sorry for the grainy images but I had the wrong ISO setting on the camera, like an idiot!

dyeguy1212 said:
I'm very impressed with that metal work.. this is an unbelievably professional job =D>

7hanks, she's really starting to come together. Having a full metalshop at your disposal does have its advantages! Even though I know very little about metal, the guys in the shop know lots about it.

I have a very old meyers 14' flat bottom........the tin all seems so flimsy for all the mods I would like. Is this possible with this kinda boat? Or should I look for something else? I got mine for free so if its good then great! thanks for any help you can give me.

perchin said:
I have a very old meyers 14' flat bottom........the tin all seems so flimsy for all the mods I would like. Is this possible with this kinda boat? Or should I look for something else? I got mine for free so if its good then great! thanks for any help you can give me.

Keep your structural support for your mods (decks, livewells etc) on the existing structural members (ribs, frames, seats etc) of the boat and I think you will be fine. If it floats mod it!

Latest posts