Rhyan Craft: Now BRINE CRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn from my mistake, make sure your carpet has no "loops" in it. You can't set a crankbait down on mine without digging the trebles out of the carpet. Mine is rubber-backed, marked for outdoor use. Next time I'll spring the extra for marine carpet.

Zum said:
Would one roller in the middle,adjusted to the right higth,be enough support for the bow?
That all thats supporting mine(1652)and my bunks are only 6"maybe only 5".
I was thinking the same thing. I'll go over to BPS tomorrow and look at rollers.

Henry Hefner said:
Learn from my mistake, make sure your carpet has no "loops" in it. You can't set a crankbait down on mine without digging the trebles out of the carpet. Mine is rubber-backed, marked for outdoor use. Next time I'll spring the extra for marine carpet.
The carpet is for my bunks only, so it sounds like the loop would be ok.

What have you guys used to attach floors in your boats rivets or screws or just let the floor float???

Longcast8 said:
What have you guys used to attach floors in your boats rivets or screws or just let the floor float???
I don't have a floor in my boat.

Longcast8 said:
I see you have asked the same question on another post.
Heres a good link for you to look over.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156
I think rivets are the way to go but not the only way...some people just use the weight of the flooring.
O ya ...welcome to the site.

Don't use the Lowes carpet on the bunks of a riveted boat that heavy. Next time I have the boat off the trailer after I launch, I will try to remember to take a picture of why I say that. It just can't hold up to the rivets of a larger boat like yours or mine sliding on it.

Bassboy, do you have any experience with the bunk carpet BPS sells?

A few more small steps. I have completed the bunks with the exception of carpet. I installed a roller up front to support the bow, installed the bow stop and new winch, then finished applying the Herculiner anywhere that needed it. I'll take some pics of the trailer next time the boat is off.

In the meantime, I have a question about the winch/hook. This picture shows the current setup.
P8030020.jpg

The problem is two fold. One, the angle of the eye on the boat and the bow stop "crimps" the hook on the winch shown here. If I want the bow stop to sit flush against the boat, I can only move it up about a 1/2" which doesn't fix the problem.
P8030021.jpg

The other problem is the hook doesn't fit inside the eye on the bow. Not to mention, it looks like there isn't a whole lot of "meat" left on the eye.
P8030022.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on either issue?

I don't have any decking in the boat, and although I don't weld, I wouldn't be against cutting the eye off the boat and bolting on a new one a couple inches lower since access is easy at this point. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a better idea.

The only thing that I see that can be done easily, is welding a new bow eye about two inches below the current one.Then grind the old one off.

If I were to make an eye out of .25 aluminum....How much do you think someone would charge to weld it on?

I wouldn't think they would charge much.Maybe $25 max.Some places will do little work like that for free in hopes of drumming up some word of mouth business.

Brine said:
If I were to make an eye out of .25 aluminum....How much do you think someone would charge to weld it on?

I know of a small shop that builds ladder racks for trucks, and does odd jobs. They have repaired a few aluminum refrigeration coils for me, and the charge is usually $20, and they do it while I wait.

The technical school I teach at, the welding shop teacher does little projects for us all the time. Mostly he has the students do it with his supervision. In the past they have only charged me for materials that I couldn't supply

Brine you could cut that one off, or have them cut it off and just move it lower - you should have to make a new one

russ010 said:
Brine you could cut that one off, or have them cut it off and just move it lower - you should have to make a new one

Well, the hole needs to be bigger to accomodate my new winch hook, not to mention, I'd like to have a little more metal for the hook to grab. Look at the pic, and you'll see that there is really only about 1/8" of meat that the hook is pulling on. I've got some .25 Aluminum at my disposal to make a new one.