Rhyan Craft: Now BRINE CRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Into the hubs and bearings tonight. Need some input.....After taking off the hubs, removing the bearings, and cleaning.....I'm noticing the metal around the hub is kinda weird. It is thicker on one side than the other, and on the inside where the race seats, it is the opposite. The "lip" inside is almost flush with the inside of the hub on one side and gets thicker on the opposite side. Just like the outside of the hub, but the exact opposite of thick to thin. Both hubs are like this. Is this normal?

Hopefully this pic will explain it.

104_1587-1.jpg

ben2go said:
Looks like a crappy casting and the machine work ended up being off because of it.

Do you see anything wrong with reusing them? The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that inner lip not providing a "seat" for the whole diameter of the race. The fact that the axle/hubs had so much grease thrown all over it makes me think there might be a problem I don't realize. I know Russ replaced both hubs for about $85. I'm considering it now.

from here it looks to be all on the outside of the hub, and i agree it looks like a casting flaw, but not one that will affect anything. as long as your bearings seat well and there is no play (after you bolt on the wheel hold the tire top and bottom and try moving it in and out, there should be no movement) i'd save your money. i run across many cast parts with similar flaws, usually brake rotors, and they suffer no problems. i'd also rotate the wheel and look to see that it is spinning true. if the hole is centered in the hub i see no problems. just my opinion.

grizzly said:
from here it looks to be all on the outside of the hub, and i agree it looks like a casting flaw, but not one that will affect anything. as long as your bearings seat well and there is no play (after you bolt on the wheel hold the tire top and bottom and try moving it in and out, there should be no movement) i'd save your money. i run across many cast parts with similar flaws, usually brake rotors, and they suffer no problems. i'd also rotate the wheel and look to see that it is spinning true. if the hole is centered in the hub i see no problems. just my opinion.

Thanks Grizzly

Quick Update.

I decided to replace hubs. Went to Northern Tool and they were $29.99ea. I soaked/cleaned and reused the buddy bearings from the old hubs, then bought covers for them $4.99. So, new hubs with buddy bearings, and covers ended up costing me $65 + tax which I figured was a good investment. Also got a new wheel jack while I was there for $19.99.

The Herculiner is 99.9% done. I ended up flipping the trailer upside down, and doing every square inch of the trailer. The only part left is the bow stop which I wanted to position correctly first and then apply the liner. All total, I think I will have used about 4/5 of a gallon to do the trailer. The boat is now back on the trailer =D> and awaiting some engineering on the bunks. As mentioned previous, I am doing away with the swivel-brackets for the bunks and will simply mount them on the crossbars with spacers. I needed the boat back on the trailer to figure out the height of the spacers so that the boat uses both the bunks and the rollers. I think I'll still end up using a couple of the brackets at the bow because I need the height up there.

Trailer still needs lights, bunks, and tires before it is street ready. I've decided to buy $15 passenger tires from Discount Tire. I have a friend who will mount and balance them for free. I got fed up with looking for trailer tires, and I'm not spending $80/tire x 3 tires for a trailer that may get pulled 500-1000 miles/year. If I have a blowout, I won't be on the interstate and I'll have a spare that costs $15 to replace. My boat won't weigh more than a small compact car, so assuming I can keep the trailer from banging into curbs or pot-holes, I think I should be ok.

One other quick story to accompany the work. As I was applying the Herculiner to the bottom of the trailer, my kids were in the back yard with me playing ball and of course I tell both of them "DON'T TOUCH THE TRAILER". At some point while I have my back turned, my youngest......... The next thing I know, Grandma comes outside with him saying: "There's no reason to get mad, he's pretty upset already" as she shows me his hands that he was frantically and unsuccesfully trying to clean inside the house without me knowing about it. Both of his hands are covered with it. :evil: So, I spent the next 15 minutes scrubbing his hands with mineral spirits and got about 95% of it off. The rest I left on as a souvenir for him to remember :D . Needless to say, I was moderately upset about it, not to mention I had to stop in the middle of the process and it was about 95 degrees at the moment and I was ready to be done......Then my Dad says to me: "Well, it's not like he drove the car down the driveway and crashed into the house across the street"....You'll never guess who did that when he was 5 yrs old :oops: :roll:

HAHAHAHA... I'm just picturing you behind the wheel - with your son beside you with black hands... now that would be priceless!

Lol,glad I'm not the only one that wrecked my parents car when I was 5.
Hope that stuff works great.
Pics?

No, I don't have any new pics, and now that the boat is on the trailer, I don't know how good they would be. It doesn't look much different than the last one I posted with the exception of the new wheel jack. Doing the bottom of the trailer was simply to satisfy my neurotic tendencies.

I sure wish I had taken pics of my son with it on his hands tho.... or better yet, a pic of me scrubbing it off with the mineral spirits. Oh well..... I won't soon forget it, and I look forward to telling him the story someday.

I'll take some pics after I have new tires, completed bow stop, and new bunks on.

Thanks for the comments.

I'd like to show you guys a bunch of glamorous photos, but I find myself doing real grunt work on the boat right now. Today I started to play with the guide-ons and bunks.

First, I decided I would reuse the roller guides, but only after I realized I could mount them in a different location than where they were. Originally, they were mounted at the very back of the trailer which I realize is "traditional" as pictured here. The first pic is from when I first got the boat and the second is after the herculiner was applied.
104_1310.jpg

104_1640.jpg

The problem I saw with them here was that the piece that the triangular part of the bracket mounts to sticking out from the trailer was not built to handle a boat like this bumping into it. For example, if someone were to stand on it, it would likely bend, and in fact, both are bent as we speak and the previous owner had apparently welded some flat bar across the top to the frame to help stabiize it, but it didn't work. I bent them back as staight as I could and they will still be used to mount my lights and license plate.

The roller guides were no longer rolling, so I decided to take them apart (like everything else I've touched on this boat so far #-o ) and take a look. It turned out that everything had a fair amount of rust, but it also appeared to me that the hard rubber part was about an 1/8" too long as it was binding against the metal angle that supports it. So, I cut off about a 1/4" off the length, wire brushed all of the pieces, then applied a thin layer of grease to the spindle and it spins much better now. Here's some more pics.
104_1642.jpg

104_1644.jpg

104_1646.jpg

After cleaning and applying some rust converter where needed, I remounted the roller guides here. This pic also shows the little piece of flat bar that was welded onto the other bracket.
104_1647.jpg

It feels alot sturdier here as it's now tied into the fender, not to mention, I like having it closer to the wheel to help my chances of never hitting the fender with the side of the boat.

I'll post my bunk pics next, which still need to be carpeted and mounted.

Right or wrong, I felt like the only way to mount the bunks correctly was too put the boat on the trailer and just see what happens. As it turns out, I suspect the bottom of the hull either has a slight twist, or maybe the trailer does because the 2 x 4's I bought today were straight. Of course I had to dig through about 20 to find 2 that I liked. Here is how I plan on installing them. I've got a couple pieces pvc fitting between the crossbar and the 2 x 4's to act like temporaty spacers until I get the height I want.
104_1649.jpg

104_1650.jpg

I haven't figured out the best way to support the bow. Here is a pic from underneath, and then one from the side to show the slope I'm working with.
104_1653.jpg

104_1654.jpg

BTW, while I was at Home Depot today, I looked at the carpet and couldn't get myself to buy what they had. It all looks like it won't last long. I've hear of someone saying use "rubber backed", but I didn't see anything that was outdoor that had a rubber back. They either had a grid like mesh (that didn't look rubber) on the back, or nothing at all. I looked in there "leftover" bin, and didn't see any deals so I thought I would get the bunk placement figured out first. Am I missing something with which style carpet to buy? I was hoping to find something a little bit more cushiony than what I saw today.

Nice work there.

For my trailer bunks I just bought the carpet without the backing, it just had a mesh. For the inside of the boat, I will get the rubbing backing one - but I didn't see it at HD either. I'll go to Lowes, where I went today and hope they have it. Really don't feel like spending too much money on carpet if I can get a good quality product for a bit less.

Would one roller in the middle,adjusted to the right higth,be enough support for the bow?
That all thats supporting mine(1652)and my bunks are only 6"maybe only 5".