YJs 1236 Semi V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y_J said:
The extra piece of 2 1/2" tubing he gave me was 3' 6" long but now that you mention it, 6" slid inside the 3" tubing just isn't enough.
Something I forgot to tell ya... On the inside of some tubing is a weld (Flash)... That will keep some tubing from going inside the other, I've had to remove the weld flash 1' back just to get tubing to fit inside the other, and its not fun!

I know most trailer tongues are 1/8", and I've seen some 1/16" thick.... I looked at your picture and it looks like the tubing the PO gave you is 1/8".

Did you take the coupler off yet ?... Take the 2-1/2" and see how it fits inside the 3" tubing, and take a pic if you can.... That will help a lot to let me see what you have! :) ... It ''MIGHT'' fit just right, you never know!

Since the boat won't weigh all that much, you could probably just slide the tubing 6" inside the other... It would be fine after its welded all the way around.

Is that Jet Ski trailer ''galvanized'' ?... If it is, be careful welding on it.. (read about it)!

Y_J said:
The only thing I don't like about the extra piece is that the walls are twice as thick as the 3" tubing and that thing has to weigh about 40 lb (rough guess).
The tubing he gave you is probably 1/4", and the tubing on the trailer is probably 1/8" thick.

You might be better off trying to fine the same thickness somewhere if you can!

WPS said:
Y_J said:
The extra piece of 2 1/2" tubing he gave me was 3' 6" long but now that you mention it, 6" slid inside the 3" tubing just isn't enough.
Something I forgot to tell ya... On the inside of some tubing is a weld (Flash)... That will keep some tubing from going inside the other, I've had to remove the weld flash 1' back just to get tubing to fit inside the other, and its not fun!

I know most trailer tongues are 1/8", and I've seen some 1/16" thick.... I looked at your picture and it looks like the tubing the PO gave you is 1/8".

Did you take the coupler off yet ?... Take the 2-1/2" and see how it fits inside the 3" tubing, and take a pic if you can.... That will help a lot to let me see what you have! :) ... It ''MIGHT'' fit just right, you never know!

Since the boat won't weigh all that much, you could probably just slide the tubing 6" inside the other... It would be fine after its welded all the way around.

Is that Jet Ski trailer ''galvanized'' ?... If it is, be careful welding on it.. (read about it)!

Y_J said:
The only thing I don't like about the extra piece is that the walls are twice as thick as the 3" tubing and that thing has to weigh about 40 lb (rough guess).
The tubing he gave you is probably 1/4", and the tubing on the trailer is probably 1/8" thick.

You might be better off trying to fine the same thickness somewhere if you can!
I'll go out and measure the thickness again tomorrow. I should have wrote it down last time I did. The trailer is galvanized. Is there something that needs to be done about that before welding it? The 2 1/2" tube slides into the 3" tube but has a pretty good gap between the sides.

I did finish sanding, pressure washed, then cleaned it. Then got the primer all on today. Believe me, tonight I'm feeling it. #-o I know I"m going to have to sand off the primer where the tongue will be welded at. There were some places that had rust and I just wanted to nip that in the bud after getting it all ground off.

Here's a photo update on the trailer today..

Attachments

• 20141018_173952_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_173952_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 20141018_173903_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_173903_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 20141018_173847_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_173847_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 20141018_173817_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_173817_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 20141018_110241_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_110241_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 20141018_110126_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141018_110126_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,660
Y_J said:
The trailer is galvanized. Is there something that needs to be done about that before welding it?
Read this: https://www.weldmyworld.com/blog/2011/12/side-effects-of-welding-galvanized-steel.html

It can make you very sick, and can even cause death... When I first started welding, I didn't know about galvanize poisoning and I got really sick late that night and didn't know what was wrong with me... Took me days to figure it out.. I went back in my shop days later and seen the metal I was welding on... Talked to someone about the color on the metal and then they told me about welding galvanize.

When welding galvanize, the smoke will have white junk floating in the air, and the welds will have green/white on them!

I weld a lot of galvanized metal and I always wear a good respirator!.. I also use a fan to blow the smoke away and I try not to weld in my shop!... ''Another big warning'':.. ''Never clean'' metal with ''brake cleaner'' before welding!

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?182941-DANGER-using-BrakeCleaner-to-clean-your-Parts

If I have metal with rust on it, I use a grinder and remove all the rust to get a good weld... Some people clean metal with acetone before welding... Just thought I would pass that warning along too! :)

Y_J said:
The 2 1/2" tube slides into the 3" tube but has a pretty good gap between the sides.
If you can't find another piece of tubing that fits tighter, then you may have to weld flat-bar on the sides, top & bottom to give it a tighter fit.... It would be alright if you just slid the 2-1/2" 6-inches inside the other... Then weld all the way around it!

You just had to live so far away! :mrgreen:
Y_J said:
I did finish sanding, pressure washed, then cleaned it. Then got the primer all on today. Believe me, tonight I'm feeling it. #-o I know I"m going to have to sand off the primer where the tongue will be welded at.

The trailer is lookin' much better and you're doing a great job!... Rims look better too!

WPS said:
Y_J said:
The trailer is galvanized. Is there something that needs to be done about that before welding it?
Read this: https://www.weldmyworld.com/blog/2011/12/side-effects-of-welding-galvanized-steel.html

It can make you very sick, and can even cause death... When I first started welding, I didn't know about galvanize poisoning and I got really sick late that night and didn't know what was wrong with me... Took me days to figure it out.. I went back in my shop days later and seen the metal I was welding on... Talked to someone about the color on the metal and then they told me about welding galvanize.

After reading that article I'm thinking that I might use my angle grinder to take off a couple of inches of the galvanized coating. In the afternoons we have a pretty good breeze blowing here. I could set my back to the wind, drink a glass of milk, weld a couple of sides, drink another glass of milk, weld the other two sides then another glass of milk. The wind should blow the smoke and particles away from me and the milk will fight against the zinc finding its way into my body.

Y_J said:
The 2 1/2" tube slides into the 3" tube but has a pretty good gap between the sides.
If you can't find another piece of tubing that fits tighter, then you may have to weld flat-bar on the sides, top & bottom to give it a tighter fit.... It would be alright if you just slid the 2-1/2" 6-inches inside the other... Then weld all the way around it!

You just had to live so far away! :mrgreen:
Y_J said:
I did finish sanding, pressure washed, then cleaned it. Then got the primer all on today. Believe me, tonight I'm feeling it. #-o I know I"m going to have to sand off the primer where the tongue will be welded at.

WPS said:
The trailer is lookin' much better and you're doing a great job!... Rims look better too!
Thanks so much. I ground off all the rust I could find before I primed the trailer.
After measuring the wall thickness this morning, the 3" square tubing is 1/16". The 2 1/2" tubing has walls of 1/8" thickness.
Before getting on here I spent about an hour and a half on the internet .looking for some 3x3 tubing with 1/16" walls and as far as I can find there is none to be found. If anyone here knows where I might find about 4" of it, please let me know.
Here are a couple of pics showing the ends of the tubing I currently have to work with:

Attachments

• 20141019_123315_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141019_123315_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,642
  • 20141019_123810_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141019_123810_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,642
Y_J said:
After reading that article I'm thinking that I might use my angle grinder to take off a couple of inches of the galvanized coating. In the afternoons we have a pretty good breeze blowing here. I could set my back to the wind, drink a glass of milk, weld a couple of sides, drink another glass of milk, weld the other two sides then another glass of milk. The wind should blow the smoke and particles away from me and the milk will fight against the zinc finding its way into my body.
Well, I see that you read that link!... Yeah, I drink a lot of milk when welding galvanize.

You should be OK outside, just make sure to keep your head out of that smoke!... And yes, you can use a grinder to remove the galvanize coating.... Oh, you will know it if you breathed in some of the smoke... The first thing that happened to me was a real bad sore throat.
Y_J said:
Before getting on here I spent about an hour and a half on the internet .looking for some 3x3 tubing with 1/16" walls and as far as I can find there is none to be found. If anyone here knows where I might find about 4" of it, please let me know.
Try this link... Bookmark it too!... Nice people to do business with!

https://www.metalsdepot.com/contact_us.php?aident=

Y_J said:
Here are a couple of pics showing the ends of the tubing I currently have to work with:

Looks very close!... Would 1/16" flat-bar take up the slop ?... Or is that too much ?

I was thinking the same thing, Until this morning.. I had noticed that my neighbor had about a 10' section of the exact same 3x3x1/16 rusting away in his yard. I asked him what he would charge me for about 4' of it. He said what ever it's worth to you. Little does he know that would break the bank but I figure about $10 should do it. That's real close to NEW prices from what I was seeing last night. And Metalsdepot.com was one of the places I was looking. ;)
So we broke out his saw-all and whacked off 4' of it. So now all I got to do is grind off all the rust, butt weld it on and we're a go for the rest. I'm stoked..

Today I also got the bunk brackets finished and primed and later put on the trailer after taking a few measurements on the boat and the trailer to find just where to put them. Got them put on the trailer and will be painted at the same time I paint the trailer. The bunks are just laying in them right now. I need to cut off a couple feet off of each of them because the shape of the boat bottom, they just hang in the air up front.

My Tiny Tack came in today's mail also. Just wish the Ted Williams 4.5 HP motor I bought off of ebay at the end of last month would hurry up and get here. I don't think I'll ever buy anything that is in Alaska again. Took 10 days to actually leave the Anchorage post office, another 10 days to make it to Washington state, and they keep moving the expected delivery date further back. Really starting to tick me off.

BTW, here's a couple of pics from today.

Attachments

• 20141020_182223_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141020_182223_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 20141020_182255_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141020_182255_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 20141020_182345_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    20141020_182345_Smyrna Church Rd.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,661
Way to go, Y_J! ... A piece of tubing the same size you needed next door to ya! :mrgreen: lol

Your trailer is lookin' great!... You will have a nice trailer when you get it finished!

Good job!

WPS said:
Did you get the tongue extended ?
Not yet, but I did come up with a 4 ft section of 3" squire Tube to put on. My neighbor is gonna let me borrow his welder whenever I go over and get it. Got to finish getting all the rust off of it then primer to keep the rust from coming back in the mean time. The past couple of days I've been busy putting up my new Portable Garage from HF.
I did take a break from it today and pulled the spark plug from the Ted Williams OB and checked the compression on it. Was NOT happy with what I saw. The best was close to 60 PSI. Right now I'm feeling like I just got took to the cleaners on this one. Got a couple pics of it down below. The gas tank smells like it's never had gas in it but it could have ran on an external tank. Motor has a fitting for it. After I put the plug back in, (which did look like it had be used but did look to be in pretty good condition) I checked it for spark. After a few try's with no luck I actually got brave enough to hold on to the plug wire while my buddy from across the road pulled on the rope. Told him "Just don't make me jump TO HIGH". LOL Never felt a thing. Now that actually sucked big time that I didn't get zapped. But... It sure is a Purdy Motor for (what I'm thinking) what is a piece of junk or an over grown door stop.
Here's those compression photo's. Now if this is about where a 4.5 HP motor should be, will someone please let me know? I was hoping to see something around 100-120.
A second thought came on my mind. If this motor in fact hasn't been run in several years, Once the motor got some lubrication through the cylinders is it possible that the compression would go higher? I'm not a big time motor mechanic so I'm not sure about these things but was just thinking (count that hoping) that might do it. I'm thinking I'll go up to the BP station (the only station for miles that has non ethanal gas), Mix it for about 32 to 1 initially, with sea foam added in. Oh hell, wait. No spark. UUUGGGHH.
Guess I'm gonna have to pull the top end of the housing off and see what I can find under there.

Anyone got any decent good running 9.9 or 9.8s they want to sell cheap?

Attachments

• 20141026_154453.jpg
    20141026_154453.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 20141026_154357.jpg
    20141026_154357.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 20141026_154327.jpg
    20141026_154327.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,603
Sorry to hear that, Y_J.

Can you contact the seller ?... If I was you, I would ask for my money back!.. They will have to pay for the shipping too.

I do know you can request your money back on some eBay items.

EDIT:

Also contact eBay and tell them about the problems with the motor!

More than likely the seller will take return on the motor, but return postage is paid by buyer. This is the typical return policy of most sellers if they even take returns - caveat emptor.

When you checked the compression did you pull 'til you peaked in pressure?

If it were me I would not really worry too much about the cylinder compression and would move on to making it bang.

Is this a points motor? If so, it could be a simple as cleaning and adjusting the points to get the fire.

Why no motor pictures? :cry:

gl

Check your wires for corrosion, maybe just need to re wire, or as stated before, clean / adjust points. I imagine getting it back to AK would cost more than a coil or cap or some wire. Good luck!

WPS said:
Sorry to hear that, Y_J.

Can you contact the seller ?... If I was you, I would ask for my money back!.. They will have to pay for the shipping too.
EDIT:
Thanks WPS. I only paid $202.50 for the motor and shipping back to Anchorage, AK would take up close to $100. I paid $85 for the shipping (that took a few days short of a month to get here). He did state that Returns, the buyer would have to pay the shipping.

SumDumGuy said:
When you checked the compression did you pull 'til you peaked in pressure?

If it were me I would not really worry too much about the cylinder compression and would move on to making it bang.
OK now a ??? for ya. I had my buddy only give one pull on the rope per test. Should I continue pulling until it has peaked?

SumDumGuy said:
Is this a points motor? If so, it could be a simple as cleaning and adjusting the points to get the fire.
Why no motor pictures? :cry:
gl
To be honest, SDG, I don't know if it's got points or not. I haven't pulled the top cover off of the motor as yet..
The past 2 or 3 days I been trying to get my Portable Garage put up and leveled before the freezing weather hits here. The leveling has been giving me fits.
Tomorrow I'll pull the top cowling off that motor and see what I'm up against.. I know the spark plug looked to be in pretty good shape so there shouldn't be any problem there. But the no fire is the big worry for me and will determine that tomorrow.
Thanks for the tips guys.. I really appreciate it. Oh, and SDG, there were photos farther up the thread but I'll throw a couple in here just for GP.. Thanks buddy..

Attachments

• 20141025_155832.jpg
    20141025_155832.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,576
  • TW1.JPG
    TW1.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,576
  • TW9.JPG
    TW9.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,576
  • TW4.JPG
    TW4.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 1,576
  • TW7.JPG
    TW7.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,576
Y_J said:
WPS said:
Sorry to hear that, Y_J.

EDIT:
Thanks WPS. I only paid $202.50 for the motor and shipping back to Anchorage, AK would take up close to $100. I paid $85 for the shipping (that took a few days short of a month to get here). He did state that Returns, the buyer would have to pay the shipping.
I went back to the page when you first bought it and read about the shipping details.. Sorry about that.

Let me contact a guy that works on boat motors and tell him the problems you are having... I'll get back to ya later.

Y_J said:
OK now a ??? for ya. I had my buddy only give one pull on the rope per test. Should I continue pulling until it has peaked?
Yes, you should peak the pressure reading.
Snagged this from another site:

Procedure for Testing:

- Turn off the fuel valve or make sure fuel is not present in the cylinder.
- Disconnect one spark plug wire from the spark plug at a time. Don't mixup the spark plug wires. Be sure to ground the spark wire when testing the compression. Cranking the motor with the plug wire hanging free can ruin the coil.
- Screw in the tester with the appropriate adapter into the spark plug hole.
- Crank the motor over with the pull start about 4 to 8 times at normal starting speed. Watch for a stabilized peak pressure on the gage. This is the compression value for the cylinder.
- Release the pressure on the gage.
- Repeat to other cylinders.

https://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/Checking Compression.html

Y_J said:
Oh, and SDG, there were photos farther up the thread but I'll throw a couple in here just for GP.. Thanks buddy..

Last photo is the best. Looks good seeing it on the boat. :)

The guy is out of town for a couple weeks.

Found this on the web about ''no spark''.

This guys says:

its a solid state ignition (no points)... But when you clean up the magnet inside the flywheel and the coil ends next to the solid state magneto it might suprise you. thats what I did and made sure the coil ( transformer ) had good ground to the side and what do you know i had great spark and the motor runs great.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/other-outboard-brands/238708-4-5-ted-williams-magneto-but-no-spark

Also found this from Sears about parts:

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Craftsman-Parts/Boat-motor-Parts/Model-21759463/0247/1305320

And this if it helps:

https://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=110944

News Flash: LOL I got the tongue extension welded on today. I hate to say it but it looks like an amature did the welding. Oh wait, I am an amature. :roll: [-o< At least I got the tongue straight, side to side :) Tomorrow I'll find me something long enough to reach back in the tube and pull the wiring back out. Also got the holes drilled for the hitch contraption on the trailer.
Progress slow but sure. Now if I could make progress on the memory banks in my brain #-o