14' JBoat Fixer Upper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side coat #1, had to do some yard work this weekend so didnt get a chance to work on it much til a hour so ago.

20190901-162021.jpg

Meant to include gotta take some time taping the side rib.. its gonna be fun lol

To HD I went to get my Marine Plywood.. The guy on the phone told me wrong, they don't carry it. BUT, they can order it for $90/sheet. #-o. I went with exterior grade, non pressure treated 4x4 sheet. Should give me just enough for what I need. I'm going to either epoxy or use the old timer mix to seal it up.

If anyone might know, can I substitute paint thinner for mineral spirits in that mix? I have some thinner on hand is why I ask.. save me some $ lol. Is it ok to stain before hand just as I did with the seat planks?

Or should I get some epoxy and then rustoleum over it...

Quick test fit. Seems just right. The previous board was an inch short. I measured and over cut the form I traced out from the old. It fits just about perfect.

20190904-145311.jpg

I went a little lower than the previous transom as well. Just an inch or so. There is a 3" gap or so from bottom of transom to the floor of the boat. (Couldnt see from that angle).

My form for my plate was way way off. I ended up taking a home plate from the kids tee ball tee and used it to trace up something square.. I wish I would have made it a little longer tho. I think it will be sufficient though..

20190904-153431.jpg

Now to figure out how I wanna seal these. Think I may grab some epoxy resin, do a couple light coats and then coat in varnish (for the uv protection). Extra attention to the ends of course.

Will hopefully have some more updates soon.

First couple coats of epoxy on/dry. Going to do a couple coats of spar on the exposed surfaces and once dry I'll be ready to start putting her back together.

20190908-090920.jpg

I really like that black bottom and red top. Looks sharp!
Boards over the seats give the boat a true custom look.
If you want to. go to E Bay under Vintage Boat Decals .
Look for a seller named Dave Shabestari. He makes and sells reproductions of every boat manufactures name plates.
One in silver would really stand out.
Since you don't know who made your boat, just pick one you like.
After all, it's no longer a this or that brand, it's a your brand. Personally, I'd pick something cool from the past like Orlando Clipper

Thanks Yellow! That's awesome you mentioned that! I was wishing I knew what it was so I could do something like that. For all I know it may be even older than 72.. I'm headed over to ebay now!. I'm thinking of getting some seats still too I think.. one or 2, amazon has these that would go good with the colors:

https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Acces...&s=gateway&sprefix=black+and+red+boat&sr=8-4

I ended up re cutting my transom plate. I regretting drilling the holes. I'm going to end up filling/sealing up the 4 small holes that are close together and making new, uniform/evenly spaced bolts.

I'll get the transom in, use some clamps to hold them right where I want em and then drill my holes. 4200 to seal up the through bolts and maybe do a bead around the inside of the boards. Gotta get some aluminum channel/angle iron for the cap and then more coats of paint.. almost on the down hill side.

Oh I also added a tow hook a few mins ago. Have to seal around that once I get it set where I want it. I'll use some of the 4200 for that as well.

Screenshot-20190908-144350-Gallery.jpg

I dont know for sure... but I've found a couple old Montgomery Ward Sea Kings that look really similar. One was a 1949.. still looking lol

Update: actually after looking again.. dont think its similar lol

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28060

OK. That's gotta be it. Maybe not exact year.. my seat braces are a bit wider. But looks identical to me, and has same 4 holes.

Looked at almost every model post or 13/14ft post for almost 50 pages.

I think I have a problem lol

Even closer is a Delcraft. Google image shows some that are even painted same inside color lol. The rear supports look the same. That's where the handles were on the backside(where I have 3 holes on each side). Nice :). Digging deeper if I can, hopefully find a year

Terry, Delhi, Delcraft, Starcraft... getting tough to follow lol

20190911-110809.jpg

20190911-111411.jpg

2 coats epoxy, 4 coats spar urethane. Hopefully they will have a long happy life.

Not lined up perfect, just wanted to move them outside for the time being lol.

I will be drilling holes soon, but most likely wont be this week/weekend. Bout to head down toward the gulf for a little wife and me mini vacation. Once I get back, I'll be bolting her up, putting the corner caps back on and more painting. May or may not put some spar in the holes after I drill them.. or potentially over drill them and fill with epoxy/redrill... I know that's the best way but we will see.

Gunnels will be black eventually. Thing is getting heavier and heavier to flip over :D. Progress I suppose.

Once finished I think I'll do a post about what I would have done different.. rounding the seat edges etc etc..

Would it be wise to put a bead of 4200 around the back side of my transom boards? A gasket of sorts?

anything you can do to keep moisture off the wood is a good idea.
That and stainless bolts and nylon washers is the way to go.
Now e mail Jim and get a couple of Tin Boats decals and you're good to go.
You did a better job than the guys that built the thing.

GAHunter said:
Ordered some stainless hardware (should be here tomorrow). Ordered my Delcraft stickers from ebay seller you recommended (ty for that).

In the mean time, back looking for a motor. Not a whole lot just yet but I did see this:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/bpo/d/cleveland-evinrude-horsepower-boat-motor/6980713647.html but its evidently not running, so not sure if worth the gamble?
I would probably offer $150 and then take it to a shop for a tune up.
If no spark, these are the retails costs of what you may need.
Coils,,,,,,,,,,,,,$18 X 2
Condensors,,,,,$5 X 2
Points,,,,,,,,,,,$10
All from Marineengine.com

Someone beat me to it. Well.. he said they were on their way to look at it. So likely gone. The hunt continues!

GAHunter said:
Someone beat me to it. Well.. he said they were on their way to look at it. So likely gone. The hunt continues!

Is Chattanooga too far away? I found two on CL that bear looking at. A 5 horse sea king, {johnson made them] in really nice shape for $300 in Rossville and an older 5.5 Evinrude for $100 in chat area.
Look on the Chattanooga C L.
Disn't see much on the Atlanta site but not sure where you are.

I didnt even think about Chattanooga, it's not too far. I have a buddy that lives in rossville. I will look!

Rookie mistake... #-o I drilled my transom holes level.. not accounting for the slight angle of the back.. sooo my washers sit flush but thr nuts dont.

I tested one by running my drill bit back into the hole and put just a touch of downward pressure on the drill. That allowed the washer and nut to sit flush on both sides. I think it will be ok. I have 2 more holes to drill once I get my angle iron/cap.. possibly more but I think I got enough. And I need to find some 3/16 bolts for the 3 bolts that go through into the support brackets on each side.. unless I can get away with using 5/16 on those aswell.. just a little larger hole.

20190918-142001.jpg

4200 is messy lol.. it didnt help the bottom of the tube blew out on me when I was putting a bead behind the outside board... I'll be painting a few more coats of rustoleum over it anyway..

I'm thinking 2 more bolts at the top of the motor plate, one on each side, through my aluminum cap.

20190918-161032.jpg]

Seals seemed to turn out good. Hopefully lol. Did a little in the hole as best I could and then around the washer and under the bolt head.

Tomorrow I'll try and find some 3/16 hardware for the remaining 6 side holes.. and a cap so I can drill my last holes and wrap that up... then I'll be painting again.