'71 Valco Mod - Just about finished!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya as they say young and dumb and full of you know what...we all have stories of stupid things we did when we didn't know better, and when we did know better haha...what do you fish for outa your boat?

Hi...you did a really fine job on your boat. What type of hinges did you use on your hatches...and did you use flat aluminum to edge the hatches? I'm at that stage in my mod...trying to get ideas and I really like to way your turned out. Thanks.

radgumbo said:
Hi...you did a really fine job on your boat. What type of hinges did you use on your hatches...and did you use flat aluminum to edge the hatches? I'm at that stage in my mod...trying to get ideas and I really like to way your turned out. Thanks.
Hey hows it going. Thanks for the compliments.

I used aluminum piano hinge on my hatches. I formed it using a leaf break to the proper dimensions. It is also hidden beneath the carpet. See the attached picture to check out how i did it. Yes, I used flat aluminum to edge the hatches. Both hinges and flat aluminum were 1/8" thick and attached to plywood deck using pop rivits.

Untitled-6.jpg

This is a sideview of the hatches installed next to decking the right side is decking and left is the hatch. The black represents hatch and decking. The blue is carpet and the green is the formed piano hinge. If you decide to take this route buy a few extra feet of hinge and purchase the carpet so you can play around with dimensioning. The right side of hinge will need to be formed differently as it sits below two layers of carpet as opposed to one. If you have any questions let me know.

aeviaanah said:
A few new additions to the boat....

Minn kota Terrova 55 with I pilot and Humminbird 161

First fish with new equipment....

I know my old eyes ain't what they use to be but that sure looks like a 561 on the front of that FF instead of a 161. :mrgreen:

BTW, you said you used pop rivets to attach the hinges to the ply decking and covers. What size rivets did you use (lenght/diameter) and do you have any close up pics of that?

JMichael said:
aeviaanah said:
A few new additions to the boat....

Minn kota Terrova 55 with I pilot and Humminbird 161

First fish with new equipment....

I know my old eyes ain't what they use to be but that sure looks like a 561 on the front of that FF instead of a 161. :mrgreen:

BTW, you said you used pop rivets to attach the hinges to the ply decking and covers. What size rivets did you use (lenght/diameter) and do you have any close up pics of that?
I just snapped a few pictures for you. I believe I used 3/16" diameter x 1/2" in length rivits. Its not that critical tho. 1/4" diameter would be fine as well. They just cant be too long or they will go though the deck.

photo3-4.jpg

This is when hatch is open.

photo2-6.jpg

This is camera at deck elevation pointed slightly up from center line of hinge.

photo1-6.jpg

This is the hatch from above.

Your right it is model 561, my mistake!

Do you happen to recall what the thickness was on the hinges. I'm not sure if I'd be able to bend some of the stuff I'm seeing for sale or not.

Thanks for your explanation. It's really cool looking at all the mods and restor. on here. Yours is one of the better ones I've seen. Very clean and neat...that's what I hope to do as well. I appreciate you answering my questions and hope mine looks as good as yours. Take care.

Here's mine...just got my materials (mostly) so I haven't gotten too far yet.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25905

JMichael said:
Do you happen to recall what the thickness was on the hinges. I'm not sure if I'd be able to bend some of the stuff I'm seeing for sale or not.
I think it was 3/32 thick. If you provide measurements I can bend hinge for you.
radgumbo said:
Thanks for your explanation. It's really cool looking at all the mods and restor. on here. Yours is one of the better ones I've seen. Very clean and neat...that's what I hope to do as well. I appreciate you answering my questions and hope mine looks as good as yours. Take care.

Here's mine...just got my materials (mostly) so I haven't gotten too far yet.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25905
Thanks for the compliments man! Take care

I just went through all of your photos again and I have to say, yours is the best looking mod on here. My layout will be very similar to yours and seeing your boat gives me an idea as to how mine will (hopefully) look. You kept it clean and well designed both aesthetically and with the use of materials along with construction methods. You shoulda' done a YouTube. "How-To". Thanks for the information and the inspiration...which, I'm sure others will agree. Good job dude!

radgumbo said:
I just went through all of your photos again and I have to say, yours is the best looking mod on here. My layout will be very similar to yours and seeing your boat gives me an idea as to how mine will (hopefully) look. You kept it clean and well designed both aesthetically and with the use of materials along with construction methods. You shoulda' done a YouTube. "How-To". Thanks for the information and the inspiration...which, I'm sure others will agree. Good job dude!
Thanks man! If you decide to use rivits, be sure to add a bit of glue to each rivit to help it hold.

aeviaanah said:
JMichael said:
I think it was 3/32 thick. If you provide measurements I can bend hinge for you.
Thanks for the offer. I've got a buddy that has a brake at his body shop that I'm going to check on first. If his brake isn't capable of doing the bends I need, I may have to take you up on that offer. BTW where did you get your solid hinges from and how wide are they?

JMichael said:
aeviaanah said:
JMichael said:
Thanks for the offer. I've got a buddy that has a brake at his body shop that I'm going to check on first. If his brake isn't capable of doing the bends I need, I may have to take you up on that offer. BTW where did you get your solid hinges from and how wide are they?
The aluminum piano hinge i purchased is 4" open meaning when laying flat it measures 4". The pin diameter is 1/8" and the leaf thickness is 1/16". The knuckles are 1/2" long each. I purchased my piano hinge from Mcmaster.com not sure if they ship to residential or not, its a business supply store. I was able to have it shipped to my job as they order stuff from there frequently.

I just got mine from McMaster-Carr and they shipped to my residential address but, I used a company name. Ordered on Thurs. and had it the next afternoon with standard shipping! I think I got lucky on that one.

radgumbo said:
I just got mine from McMaster-Carr and they shipped to my residential address but, I used a company name. Ordered on Thurs. and had it the next afternoon with standard shipping! I think I got lucky on that one.
They sure got a lot of stuff over there. They always have everything I need. What hinge did you order?

Ok, this is where I've decided to make my first post. I've been lurking for about a month now and just registered because I am scooping up my buddies 12' with trailer and motors this week. I have been browsing for ideas because before I even take it on the water I want to clean it up and do some modding.

This is easily the most aesthetically pleasing 12' I've seen on here, and really gives me hope for my project. I know I won't be able to make my hatches as clean as yours are due to my lack of metal fabrication skills and equipment, but if I can just mimic the decking you have done I will be totally satisfied.

Well done man, well done.

gumbo860 said:
Ok, this is where I've decided to make my first post. I've been lurking for about a month now and just registered because I am scooping up my buddies 12' with trailer and motors this week. I have been browsing for ideas because before I even take it on the water I want to clean it up and do some modding.

This is easily the most aesthetically pleasing 12' I've seen on here, and really gives me hope for my project. I know I won't be able to make my hatches as clean as yours are due to my lack of metal fabrication skills and equipment, but if I can just mimic the decking you have done I will be totally satisfied.

Well done man, well done.
Hey thanks for stopping by and for the nice reply! This is my first boat and I love it, just repainted it last weekend.

For the deck i used the existing bench seats to support bottom of ply. I used aluminum flatbar for the hatches to catch and two pieces of formed aluminum angle running right through the middle of the deck (between front and middle seat). The deck is two pieces, a right and left side with seam in the middle. Take a look at the above posts, thats how I did the hinges. To get the profile of the deck i measured out 6" increments down the length of the boat, on center. I then measured perpendicular to each of these marks off center and wrote down the numbers. From there I was able to layout the deck on wood.

Deck is fastened under the formed flanges of the existing bench seats. I used 1/4-20 bolts and special wood nuts that are pressed into the wood. A bit of glue helped make sure they stay... Let me know if you have any questions.

Love the design and layout of your boat. Probably going to model my '75 12' Sears alot like yours, as I like how you were able to add the deck without removing the benches.

One quick question: I didn't notice where you stated the thickness of plywood you used for the front deck? And how sturdy is it across the span between benches?

in agreement with others you have done a great job on that valco. thanks for the tips and ideas. i have a 82 and have it torn apart, as for the transom what did you use? two layers of 3/4 exterior or marine? looks really great.
dino

dkonrai said:
in agreement with others you have done a great job on that valco. thanks for the tips and ideas. i have a 82 and have it torn apart, as for the transom what did you use? two layers of 3/4 exterior or marine? looks really great.
dino
Thanks! I think I had to finish at 1 1/4" thick...dont remember. I may have used a piece of 3/4 glued to a piece of 1/2 ply wood. Nothing marine or exterior grade. I just used a ton of waterproof coating.
Josh in FLA said:
Love the design and layout of your boat. Probably going to model my '75 12' Sears alot like yours, as I like how you were able to add the deck without removing the benches.

One quick question: I didn't notice where you stated the thickness of plywood you used for the front deck? And how sturdy is it across the span between benches?
Another nice thing is my deck is removable...I used a few embedded wood nuts and fasted to the flanges of the existing bench seats. It is real sturdy across the span between the benches. I did reinforce with formed aluminum angle. I only weight 160 lbs tho. I used 1/2" plywood coated with an epoxy paint. As the boat is wider than 48" i actually have a seam in the ply across the center of the boat. That was held together with wood glue and the aluminum angle backing.