'71 Valco Mod - Just about finished!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUMP for a great job. I saw your profile on an other post and had to come and look. Great design and execution for a small boat.

nlester said:
BUMP for a great job. I saw your profile on an other post and had to come and look. Great design and execution for a small boat.
Hey thanks for stopping by just for a good word! Means alot! Take care friend!

Awesome boat, I've been searching for a mod like this for months! Finally stumbled across this website and found this beauty. I had to register to give you some props and to ask a few questions :D Anyways I like the fact that you used the benches to mount the deck, thats how I wanna do mine since I don't want to have to build a frame for the deck. I'm curious as to what you used underneath the wood for the deck for support other than the benches ? I noticed there's some aluminum showing when you open the middle hatch so I was wondering. Did you gut and reuse the original benches? Just trying to get an idea of how you did things, this will be my first time trying something like this, I've never been much of builder lol. Thanks for any input and sorry if my questions are dumb. :?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320520#p320520 said:
Chris.C » 28 Jun 2013, 14:56[/url]"]Awesome boat, I've been searching for a mod like this for months! Finally stumbled across this website and found this beauty. I had to register to give you some props and to ask a few questions :D Anyways I like the fact that you used the benches to mount the deck, thats how I wanna do mine since I don't want to have to build a frame for the deck. I'm curious as to what you used underneath the wood for the deck for support other than the benches ? I noticed there's some aluminum showing when you open the middle hatch so I was wondering. Did you gut and reuse the original benches? Just trying to get an idea of how you did things, this will be my first time trying something like this, I've never been much of builder lol. Thanks for any input and sorry if my questions are dumb. :?
Thanks for the kind words!

The benches are the only vertical deck support. I fabricated an aluminum frame that catches the lids, this frame also has two aluminum angles back to back that provide a bit of horizontal support. Yea i reused the original benches as they are rivited the the body of the boat. I filled with foam wherever I could.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=236585#p236585 said:
aeviaanah » 11 Jan 2012, 20:02[/url]"]Caught this one on the way home from work today, Ive been stoppin at fox grove to relax. Second cast using a red split tail grub like plastic. This is a small mouth right?

download-1.jpg

I lived right by Fox Grove when I was a kid----Fished there a lot. Caught lots of cats.
Jack

Thanks for the great post and mod..very nice boat.. I just picked up a 74 12 ft.Gregor and plan on doing something similar to yours. The main question I have regards weight. How much weight have you added with the mods & motors? I guess in other words what is the total weight excluding the boat itself?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362847#p362847 said:
TinSplash » Yesterday, 22:58[/url]"]Thanks for the great post and mod..very nice boat.. I just picked up a 74 12 ft.Gregor and plan on doing something similar to yours. The main question I have regards weight. How much weight have you added with the mods & motors? I guess in other words what is the total weight excluding the boat itself?
Man I'm really not sure I can list the main components and take a stab at estimating.

Outboard 115lb
Trolling Motor 40lb
Plywood deck with carpet 50lb
Gear 60lb
Bowplate 15lb
2 Batteries 20lb and 40lb
2 Seats and mounts 50lb

A quick estimate would be around 400lbs.

Id say the weight is distributed pretty well. I have my batteries in the back bench to the left of the seat to counter the person sitting there. I get up on plane pretty quickly. I can still get out of the hole with 2 adults and a kid on board.

Good luck with the build and feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

I really wished I have seen your boat before I built mine. I am getting ready to make a live well and might have to extend or add on mine when winter hits

Your build has been an inspiration to me during my own build.
- How is it holding up without the bench to side supports? (I really want to pull mine...)
- How did you attach/support the front deck? Do you have any photos of that part of the build?
- How did you support the post seat in the back?

Thanks again for the inspiration!
come take a look at what I've had to do so far... this thing was trashed. Hopefully I can get it back in the water!

-Matt