Boat prices

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny1

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Spent a few hours yesterday searching for a used two stroke on the internet. Found nothing worth looking at. Looked at what is available In Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Did spend some time looking at the used boats for sale. What a joke. Most of the small boats offered are missing benches and are pretty much beat up. Average price for a 14 footer or less is about $1,000.00 dollars. I would say about half of the boats offered in both locations looked like they were used as trash cans. Pictures of boats that are stowed outdoors full of trash and they have the guts to ask high prices for them. A few of the boats offered mentioned that they did not leak and were used recently. Tags not up to date and no title so how does that work. Looking at the used Bass boats was even better. Beat up and nasty looking over 20 years old and their average asking price over $10,000.00 dollars. Who are they kidding? Just plain unbelievable the asking price of used boats in Oklahoma. Gives me even more incentive to continue working on the 14 foot Lone star. My title says the boat is worth $450.00 dollars. Not the average $1.000.00 dollars these people are asking for.

Good deals go fast. When I was actively looking two years ago I was on every day for weeks looking at the typical used sites. The trash sticks around. Every once in a while you find something of value but it never lasts long.

The prices on used tin boats is only going to go up. The days of dealerships having piles of new 12-16ft tin boats stacked up for sale are gone. Manufacturers are only making the bigger more expensive hulls and the cheaper riveted hulls seem to not be offered anymore. The skyrocketing price of aluminum isn't helping.

The prices on used tin boats is only going to go up. The days of dealerships having piles of new 12-16ft tin boats stacked up for sale are gone. Manufacturers are only making the bigger more expensive hulls and the cheaper riveted hulls seem to not be offered anymore. The skyrocketing price of aluminum isn't helping.
You may be right. Just shocked at the price for a used small tin boat. Especially when you consider the condition of the boats. Not that I would ever sell my little project boat but now Have a good idea of what the boat is worth money wise when it is completed.

Last edited:
Bear something in mind, someone with an absolute piece of trash boat can ASK any price they want and go down if a buyer comes along but they can NEVER go up in price...

I was looking at boat prices 2 weeks ago and yeah, it was stunning how high the prices were on used boats. I was thinking about getting a newer hull and moving my console/motor/controls/trailer to it but the prices are crazy. I went to the Lowe website to try and grab a similar jet tunnel hull and they force you to build a complete rig with motor/trailer and that gets you to $19K in no time!

Look at new boat prices....that will show you why used prices are going up !! Bottom line is everything is going up
as long as someone might pay that price. As mentioned a daily search is needed and be ready to move when one comes along with cash in hand !! When I bought my boat last summer, it was over a 3 month search...then a 200 mile drive with cash in hand. I answered his ad less than 30 minutes after he posted it....within 4 hours he had 5 calls on it ! Luckily I was the first and he held it while I made the drive. There were two others waiting while I looked first. Really good boats move quickly, very qyickly!!

Out of curiosity I spent some time looking at local used boats. There were a couple what I would consider good deals in the 16'-18' range. Those in the 12' -14' seem to carry a premium. That size is popular and in demand it seems.

Out of curiosity I spent some time looking at local used boats. There were a couple what I would consider good deals in the 16'-18' range. Those in the 12' -14' seem to carry a premium. That size is popular and in demand it seems.
I saw the same thing. A few boats over 14 foot were in good shape and reasonably priced.

I noticed the same. I jumped on my boat I got for 1200 (Grumman 14SS) that came with a trailer and 15hp motor. Boat is beat up, trailer works, and engine started fine. I figure if I can sell trailer and motor Ill be in the boat for ~$500 so thats what is keeping me interested in restoring it. I spent weeks looking, and most were all in the $2k+ range for the same boat I got with no title, no trailer, no engine etc. etc. That no title is a huge deal breaker for me.

Driving thru unbuilt areas it is common to see small boats sitting along side barns, fences, etc. I wonder how many might let them go for cash in hand if asked.
I would bet most have lost the title over the years. In some states the hoops one must jump through to get that fixed are a deal breaker.

I would bet most have lost the title over the years. In some states the hoops one must jump through to get that fixed are a deal breaker.

I agree. There is a process in my state, but it would require the seller's cooperation. There can be all kinds of issues if the seller is different than who it was last registered under.

Driving thru unbuilt areas it is common to see small boats sitting along side barns, fences, etc. I wonder how many might let them go for cash in hand if asked.
I live right in the middle of the unbuilt area. Three boat listed in Henryetta are total garbage with no titles. The few I have found that are not listed the owners were out to lunch on price. Found a nice 9.9 2 stroke and the guy wanted $5,000.00 I just laughed and walked away. Am more interested in a motor than a boat. I keep hearing the same story over and over " It ran good last year" Or "I have no way of running it right now"I took the top off of one motor that "Ran last year" and it was full of Brown Recluses it was obvious that the motor had not been run in a long time. Then the story that really gets me "It Runs Good But It Might Need A New Water Pump " or " It Might Need Some Carburetor Work" Am going to continue looking but it is getting very disappointing.

I waited and found my 16' Mirrocraft with 25hp Mercury and trailer for $3k. A little more than I wanted to pay but the boat is in great condition as is the engine and trailer and was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Had to drive 200 miles. I pretty much expect carb rebuild, water pump replacement and tune up on any used engine. I liked it so much I didn't even haggle over the asking price. In the end the previous owner even hauled it home for me, as I was going to rent a truck up there if I bought it. 200+ round trip. He also had others waiting after me. 16' was what I thought just big enough for myself and the wife and/or two grandkids. Just like $500 used cars are gone, so are the cheap boats, at least for now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 0
At least in my state, as soon as you hit 16 feet the regs change. At that point also getting into a trailer size where the trailer will have to be registered.

Many have owners that think they will use it soon, but time gets away, been there myself. Had open heart surgery then next season wife had hip surgery, ended up 3 years boat sitting not used

Latest posts