270Handiman's 1649 Custom Flat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now on to actual PAINT!

Applied an OD Green base coat using Krylon spray cans. If I were applying a glossy topcoat, I would have used my air gun, but for a dead flat OD green finish, the rattle cans worked great.

100_3316.jpg

100_3317.jpg

Outside painted, inside still in various other stages: (Also notice the 2 pad eyes on the top rails. These were removed and smoothed.)

100_3320.jpg

Contrast between paint and primer: (also in this pic you can see the last remaining bits of bedliner on the two handrails. It is gone now, thank goodness. I hate that mess!)

100_3318.jpg

Now the fun starts.

I have a Mossy Oak Shadow Grass stencil kit from Styx River. I plan to paint the entire boat inside and out. The only part that will not be painted is the bottom of the hull (I hiding from ducks, not fish!) I went into this knowing it would take some time, so I work on it when I have time and never get in a hurry. Luckily, this boat doesn’t need to be ready in the spring to fish, but rather in the fall for hunting season. The stencil kit is pretty straight forward. You start with the brown base pattern, add the black “break up” pattern, then you finish it off with the light colored grass pattern. There is really not much other commentary I can add to the process; so I’m just gonna post a bunch of pictures.

First I made a couple sample boards to see which way I wanted to go with it (tip I got from a buddy - Thanks Gary!). I went with the one on the left.

100_3315-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

100_3321.jpg

100_3329.jpg

100_3331.jpg

100_3332.jpg

100_3334.jpg

100_3338.jpg

100_3339.jpg

You will notice that there are some areas in the boat that are either not complete, or that haven’t been started yet. Some of this is because I had wiring or fuel lines in the way at the time. The area around the rear bench is not complete because of a bunch of brackets and stuff that the previous owner added are still there and are in the process of being cut off. And still more of it (i.e. – front deck and top of rear bench seat) is going to have Hydra-turf on it and doesn’t need to be done really. Also, the aluminum floor that will go in soon will cover all of the existing floor.

100_3414.jpg

100_3415.jpg

After working around the motor and cables this whole time, and struggling to make it all work with the motor in the way, ……….

100_3392.jpg

I now have a reason to remove the motor and all the wiring harness.

100_3395.jpg

It’s gonna be a nice addition to this project, but dang I could have saved myself some headache just taking the motor off in the first place. Now I have to do all of this kind of stuff…….

100_3396.jpg

Here are some before and after pics of some of the miscellaneous brackets I had to remove from the interior before I could finish the interior painting…..

100_3279-1.jpg

100_3288-1.jpg

100_3290-1.jpg

100_3397.jpg

100_3398.jpg

100_3399.jpg

100_3400.jpg

100_3407.jpg

Ditto the comments on the paint. Has to be one of the best I've seen. =D>