Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dearl said:
Not to mention the price of all aluminum is outrageous, dygye looks like your decks would stand up against a hurricane if need be, looks good. :D

Thanks, I appreciate it. Hopefully the thompsons will hold up its end of the deal and make it last a long time.

I got the first coat on everything today, and reassembled it. I'm going to do a second coat tomorrow morning with everything in place. Soaked it all pretty good, and it dried within 4 or 5 hours with the propane heater going. The combo of burning propane and thompson's spread across such a huge surface area really made for a wicked fume concoction.. its still a wonder the garage didn't go up... managed to keep it pretty warm, very similar to the 71 degree house.

I've been doing some thinking, and I may be able to put a large bead of caulk-type-substance around the inside edges of the hull, before putting the decks on. This would keep water from seeping down below, possibly screwing with the bracing. I really don't care if I have to replace a 1/2" sheet of plywood every 3 years, but I want the bracing to last a long time. But considering all bracing is up off the floor (except two non-load bearing boards), I don't foresee any issues...

But chances are I'll turn around and sell this one just as fast as I did the last one, and start another project :roll:

Froggy said:
You just removed the decking and spray'd it, very clever =D> old Fred Bear be proud of you....dont you have the ribs sitting on the bracings? I would not worry about water.

Brushed it on actually. Btw, if anyone ever considered using thompsons's with the cedar tint, DON'T. Its ugly and orange lol.

Ribs sitting on the bracings? In my mind, its the other way around. The ribs are the factory installed parts that go across the bottom and sides. But I get what you're saying, and yes. :lol:

I recently bought a boat that somebody caulk beaded the sides and drilled holes in the back corners of the floors to let the water out. Looks good but any mud or silt that gets in the boat from some of the river boat ramps or duck hunting just clogs em right up

I'm putting in two 2" drains in the cockpit, so I don't think I have to worry about clogs (hopefully).

I don't plan to caulk the decks in, just caulk and let dry before putting the decks in, to make a gasket (type thing).

Sounds good, i just got that 1442 monarck i was talking about and the back floor feels great for standing and fishing but the front on the other hand feels kinda tippy where the floor tapers upward to the bow/front. I'm torn between tearing out the front and doing a small deck or leaving it open for duck hunting (200 decoys) see if i had that depth finder you just bought from bugpac id go ahead and make it a full blown bass'n machine :D

Johnny5 said:
Sounds good, i just got that 1442 monarck i was talking about and the back floor feels great for standing and fishing but the front on the other hand feels kinda tippy where the floor tapers upward to the bow/front. I'm torn between tearing out the front and doing a small deck or leaving it open for duck hunting (200 decoys) see if i had that depth finder you just bought from bugpac id go ahead and make it a full blown bass'n machine :D

If I duck hunted, I'd be really torn. Luckily (or unluckily) no one ever taught me, so this will be a bass fishing rig only. However, I am addicted to bowhunting, hence the camo going on the outside. Gotta keep it redneck one way or another..

In other news, I hit up the bps fishing classic this morning when it opened. Got a proseat for 10 bucks, and its really high quality. The exact size and color I wanted, so I'm pretty happy. I decided to ruin these savings with a $150 quantum reel though... and I get paid Monday so I'll be headed back for more stuff! They have seat bases on sale, so I need to pick up another one. Other than that, its all fishing stuff going in the cart.. I'm ready for summer..

Sorry about the lack of pics, but the camera is dead. Boats going back outside, and becoming a weekend project from now on. Progress should be pretty quick once I get the electrical run, and get the decks cut out.

Heres some of the long-awaited pics... I've been opening it up and letting it air out on these nice days, cause this thompson's still really smells bad. I still haven't made a decision on the rear deck design, so its going to have to wait I guess. If all goes well, the decks will be cut and put in place, electrical will be run, and livewell will all be hooked up this weekend. Carpet may have to wait until the next paycheck, but we'll see. I also need to get a tiny tach ordered.

I also found out that my trailer needs some work. Its the type that has a hinge for shallow launching, and its flexing pretty bad at the hinge and leaning to one side (probably from me climbing in and out while working on it). Moral of the story, block up the tongue of the trailer when doing extensive work to avoid messing up the weak points. I plan to solve the issue with some massive bolts to keep it simple.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,866
  • IMAG0002.JPG
    IMAG0002.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,866

Latest posts