Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the front deck complete, other than the recessed foot tray. Also got my console fishfinder/gps, compliments of bugpac. Starting on the cockpit floor, but gotta go to work first.. pics later tonight

Okay, like I said, everything up front is complete other than the recessed foot tray. I'm going 4 inches down, so I need to go to HD and buy some sort of 2x4 bracing. Everything is rock solid, and level (something I figured I'd struggle with).

I also got the cockpit floor bracing in, which was a pain. The fact that the ribs are not flat across the bottom but angled down makes it tough to create a flat surface. However, I got it perfectly level, and as solid as its gonna get. There is a little play in the 2x's that are right next to each other, because I can't get a screw into the inside edges. However, once plywood is sitting on top of it, and seat pedestals screwed down, its not going anywhere.

I'm really starting to dread tearing it all back apart, sealing it, and reassembling it. I'm going to take layout pictures of everything, number it all, label the top and front sides, and write the order I disassembled it, and reverse the order when I put it back in. It'll drive me nuts if the boat turns out worse the second time around :shock:

Attachments

• IMAG0287.JPG
    IMAG0287.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMAG0286.JPG
    IMAG0286.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMAG0285.JPG
    IMAG0285.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMAG0284.JPG
    IMAG0284.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMAG0283.JPG
    IMAG0283.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 2,058
  • IMAG0282.JPG
    IMAG0282.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 2,058
No, because I need the sealer behind the brackets, and in the screw holes (most importantly). I'll leave the brackets that are attached to the boat, but the rest has to come out.

Lookin' good, that's a lot of deck space! Sealing is a pain, but, as you know, well worth it. Are you planning to put foam under the sole and how are you planning on draining the cockpit to the bilge?

Hey instead of Wood I am using an Aluminum Extrusion.. www.modtool.com Joe Alanari, He's in Troy MI.

My last 1648 I used his extrusion and it worked great!! And it held up the the riggers of my fat hind end!!!!! I am picking up my next project a 1870 and I plan on decking it out with the extrusion as well.

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for any questions

It's really easy to use, drill, tap and modify. Joe has all kinds of fasteners that are easy to use!!

Ta5teless said:
Hey instead of Wood I am using an Aluminum Extrusion.. https://www.modtool.com Joe Alanari, He's in Troy MI.

My last 1648 I used his extrusion and it worked great!! And it held up the the riggers of my fat hind end!!!!! I am picking up my next project a 1870 and I plan on decking it out with the extrusion as well.

Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for any questions

It's really easy to use, drill, tap and modify. Joe has all kinds of fasteners that are easy to use!!

What did that run you?

Rat said:
Lookin' good, that's a lot of deck space! Sealing is a pain, but, as you know, well worth it. Are you planning to put foam under the sole and how are you planning on draining the cockpit to the bilge?

I have 2 2inch plastic drains. There won't be a perfect seal, so theoretically the water would drain on its own, but would take a while. I figure the two drains will work perfect.

As for foam, I havent decided. I'd like to get something up front to deaden the sound, but we'll see. I am planning on putting two flotation boxes in the transom area, but I might ditch the idea in favor of storage area.

dyeguy1212 said:
No, because I need the sealer behind the brackets, and in the screw holes (most importantly). I'll leave the brackets that are attached to the boat, but the rest has to come out.

Are you sealing the inside as well? With what?

Troutman3000 said:
dyeguy1212 said:

Are you sealing the inside as well? With what?

What do you mean, inside?

Guess it doesnt matter, because every piece of wood in the boat will be sealed with thompsons water sealer with wood protector.

Yeah I'm hoping I don;t regret using wood. If I can afford it, I'd like to replace the plywood with aluminum. I don't think the framing will rot out for a long time, but plywood always seems to go quick.

I still can't decide if I want to use 1/2" or 3/4". The hatches are pretty small, so I could probably get away with 1/2", but I'm not sure. Weight is a big concern, so I'd live to avoid 3/4" if at all possible. Either way it'll fit in the boat, but 1/2" might fit a little better... hmmmm....

Looks good, what are you doing under the seat bases, From what I see, I would suggest adding a piece of 2x10 or something under the 2x2 and bolting threw both pieces.. Spreads the weight more.. But i am a fat guy as well, :)

I did my floor with 2x2's 12" on center and used 1/2, it doesnt give at all, but i also glued it to the 2x2's as well, I think that adds some rigidness.. I think you would be fine with 1/2..

Mine are about 14 or 15" apart, more so in the cock pit. I'm going to give 1/2" an honest try, but if all else fails I'll go with 3/4". I wish I could find some sheet metal for cheap for the front decks, because thats where a ton of the weight is going to be. Maybe I'll spring for it next winter...

As for the seat bases, what you see is what you get.. so far. I haven't tested the cockpit out with seat bases yet, so we'll see. The front pedestal will have another long 2x2 running under it, help up by the bolts for the pedestal. Its solid as it is, but I want some reassurance for rough conditions. Its not in the pictures, because I didnt think of it until after I put all the bracing in, and the extra 2x2 wont fit unless I put it in first :oops:

dyeguy1212 said:
... I wish I could find some sheet metal for cheap for the front decks...

Sometimes, if you know the right places, you can buy used for just over scrap prices at scrap yards. Some scrap yards take advantage of higher value items that come in, but the ones that are just going to re-sell as scrap, will often sell to anyone at that price. It can be worth your time to stop in a handy scrap metal yard and ask... That's where I picked up some of my aluminum.

Half the battle is finding scrap yards near by. I've asked around and the only well-known ones are in Detroit. Not only is an on hour away, I don't like to be there for any reason other than sporting events lol.

I'll have to do some searching

My vote is 1/2 ply, it will last a long time... I like that new sig line, I been throwing lipless cranks "Rtraps" since November already...

Latest posts